Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Patchouli Incense

For all information gathered regarding these. PLEASE REMEMBER TO USE WITH CARE.

Patchouli Incense

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:19 pm

The Patchouli Plant: Patchouli (Pogostemon cablin) is a member of the mint family. It is a large (3 feet) perennial mint with a sturdy, hairy stem and large, fragrant, furry leaves, about four inches long and five inches across. It has whitish flowers tinged with purple.

Patchouli is renowned for its deep, earthy musky fragrance. Patchouli has a long history of use in the fields of medicine, perfumery, rituals, cosmetics and to scent clothes and textiles. Along with scenting textiles, patchouli acts as a deterrent to insects.

Patchouli grows in tropical climates. The plant originated in Southeast Asia, and is extensively cultivated in various Indonesian Islands, India, the Philippines, Malaysia, China, and South America.

The essence of patchouli remains a very popular scent and is a traditional ingredient in love potions. Patchouli oil is used extensively in the flavoring industry, and is an ingredient to be found in many foods and beverages.

Patchouli is also known as patchouly, tamala pattra in Sanskrit and guang huo xiang in chinese. Patchouli comes from the Hindustan word 'patch' meaning 'green' and 'ilai' meaning 'leaf. 'Patchouli is used in temples as an incense. It is said to assist in grounding and centering the mind prior to meditation. It is also produces a strong connection to the earth as such is an aid to connecting with the natural beauty of the our planet.

For the nervous system, patchouli incense helps to reduce tension, insomnia and anxiety. It is also know as uplifting fragrance that helps to soothe away everyday cares, and to bring about a sense of nourishment.

It was placed between Indian cashmere shawls en route to Victorian England to protect the merchandise from moths. Without the smell of Patchouli the shawls could not be sold.

The essential oil of patchouli is extracted by steam distillation of the leaves. The leaves need to be shade dried and partially fermented before distilling. The yield is 2-3%. Fresh patchouli essential oil has a sharp, green fragrance, and needs to age to develop the deeper, earthier aroma of a good patchouli oil. Patchouli essential oil should always be aged and will continue to improve the longer it sits. The colour of the oil will deepen from a light yellowish, pale red to a deep, dark amber upon aging, and the oil will become more and more viscous.

Patchouli essential oil is used as a topical remedy for skin problems such as acne, eczema, inflamed, cracked, chapped and irritated skin. It is known as a cell rejuvenator and helpful in healing wounds and scars. As an antifungal, patchouli oil has been used to treat athlete's foot. It is a general tonic and stimulant and helps the digestive system. It is also antimicrobial, antiseptic and helps relieve itching.

For the hair, patchouli oil has been used for dandruff and to aid oily hair. In the East Patchouli is used to place between linen to keep bedbugs away, in sachets and in potpourri.

It is Patchouli and Camphor that gives Indian ink its characteristic smell.Patchouli can assist with stress related conditions and anxiety; and is also helpful in cases of substance addictions.

The therapeutic properties of Patchouli are: anti-depressant, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, astringent, carminative, diuretic, febrifuge, fungicide, insecticide, sedative and tonic.
Attachments
patchoulileaf33.jpg
patchoulileaf33.jpg (20.97 KiB) Viewed 3061 times
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

Re: Patchouli Incense

PostAuthor: arablue » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks for posting Tylluan. Patchouli is one of my favourites!
Bright Blessings,
Arablue.
arablue

Re: Patchouli Incense

PostAuthor: Hazel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:14 pm

Thank you Tylluan,
I have been using Patchouli and Callendula cream that I made for Healing a cut on the bottom of my foot ( walking down the stairs and caught my heel on a carpet tack) for the past two days which was very painfull to walk on.
I had a inch cut which today is only half an inch already it also has taken the pain away as it also has small analgesic properties, when used with Callendula the analgesic intensifies.
I did not realise that it is so strongly used in food stuffs though, although I use the incence for the major problem that you and Wildwood helped me with when Hubby was ill, it is still used frequently ( better safe than sorry).
I do enjoy reading all the information that you find.
Thanks again
B.B.
Hazel
Hazel

Return to Essential Oils, Incense & Potpourri