Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Samhain Incense

For all information gathered regarding these. PLEASE REMEMBER TO USE WITH CARE.

Samhain Incense

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:07 am

Samhain Spirit Incense

This recipe is for loose incense, but you can adapt it for stick or cone recipes. As you mix and blend your incense, focus on the goal of your work. Do you wish to contact the spirit of a long-dead ancestor? Are you hoping to bring some visions your way in a dream? Or are you maybe looking to enhance your own meditative abilities? Focus your intent as you blend your ingredients.

You’ll need:

2 parts Cinnamon
1 part ground cloves
1 part Dragon's Blood resin
1 part Hyssop
1 part Patchouli
2 parts Rosemary
1 part Sage
A dash of sea salt

Add your ingredients to your mixing bowl one at a time. Measure carefully, and if the leaves or blossoms need to be crushed, use your mortar and pestle to do so. As you blend the herbs together, state your intent. You may find it helpful to charge your incense with an incantation. For example, if you were going to use your incense during a seance, you could use this:

The veil has thinned, the moon is bright
and I blend this magic on Samhain night.
Celebrating life and death and rebirth
with these herbs I've harvested from the earth.
I send my intent by smoke in the air
and call on those whose blood I share.
I ask my ancestors to guide and watch over me,
As I will, so it shall be.

Store your incense in a tightly sealed jar. Make sure you label it with its intent and name, as well as the date you created it. Use within three months, so that it remains charged and fresh.
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

Re: Samhain Incense

PostAuthor: Helen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:44 pm

I thought I’d add another possible Samhain recipe - this one started out as “Circle Incense” by Scott Cunningham, but I felt the ingredients made it suitable for Samhain too. I have substituted Mace for Cinnamon.

I make my incense by weight, but you can also make by volume, but you can’t mix them, it must be one or the other.
(shout out if that didn’t make sense!)

Frankincense 4 parts
Myrrh 2 parts
Benzoin 2 parts
Sandalwood (white) 1 part
Mace ½ part
Rose petals ½ part
Vervain ¼ part
Rosemary ¼ part
Bay ¼ part

All of these ingredients ground fairly fine one at a time and then mixed together. Store in an airtight container. Burn on charcoal or an open fire.

I have made and used this myself and like it, let me know if you give it a go.

It is possible to substitute an ingredient for something similar**, a wood for a wood, a resin for a resin and so on. I like to know the given attributes for ingredients though, before I do that, and the Cunningham book “Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs” has magical attributes, and his book specifically on incense has a section about substitution.

** If you make changes to a recipe do make notes about exactly what you did. Make them at the time, don't think you'll remember afterwards (words of the wise there I'm afraid. Then if you create something wonderful you'll be able to repeat it, if you don't like the end result so much, you'll know not to try that again.

Always learning, as the wheel turns.
Helen

PostAuthor: Bluebell » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Hello

These sound great, I really want to try making my own incense for a change, but Im a real novice with the herbal side of things. Ive only ever really worked with very basic kitchen herbs and worked with crystals instead.

I know if I went online, Im sure I could find places to purchase some of these, but I wondered if anybody has any recommendations for here in the UK for the resins etc? Its just that I know with Essential Oils for example, some are of a better quality than others or when you look a bit closer to the label they are not actually pure afterall. I do prefer word of mouth also:)

I will hopefully be going to Glastonbury in a couple of weeks, so if anyone knows of anywhere around there that would be great.

Thank you!
Brightest Blessings
Bluebell xx
Bluebell

PostAuthor: Helen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Bluebell.
The only supplier I have used regurlarly in the UK is 'Starchild' in Glastonbury. They have a shop in the courtyard behind Courtyard Books, below the Goddess temple (not sure if you've been there and know where I mean, so hope that will help you find them) They do some nice candles in varous colours there as well, and ready mixed incense, although I haven't tried that. I think they also do mail order.

A couple of other places I tried weren't very good for one reason or another and I wouldn't recommend them.

I do save up and use a couple of US suppliers, where I've found the range and quality very good - happy to give links for those if you're interesed.

It's fine to use good quality cooking herb ingredients too, and things you've dried yourself as well, providied they are good and dry.

It's about the intention and the attributes of the ingredients rather than 'lots of snazzy ingredients' and some of the simplest mixes are really effective, so have fun, and let us know how it goes.

Blessings
Helen
Always learning, as the wheel turns.
Helen

PostAuthor: Bluebell » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi Helen

Thank you for the info:) If you get a mo, no rush, then those links would also be great. Im going to see how I go with Starchild for now and have a play. I would love to get to Glastonbury in the next 2 or 3 weeks, but Ill have to see, if not, Ill go online for now and see if I can order instead.

Ive just bought some of those bamboo charcoal blocks, because I tried the other kind, but they smoked me out! I find them a bit tricky to light but Im going to persevere tonight with some ready made incense I got a couple of months ago.

Thanks again and Ill let you know how its going and no doubt be hassling you and everyone else for advice soon ;)

Brightest Blessings
Bluebell xx
Bluebell

Return to Essential Oils, Incense & Potpourri