Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Decks

Re: Decks

PostAuthor: Helen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:57 pm

It was a bit of a "quick grab, bung in the oven" affair, as we've had a lot of driving today - but it was okay, thank you.

Okay, cards then - first of all I'd say, what do you want to get out of it? Do you want to try and divine future possibilities? Do you want daily guidance or ideas? Will you be reading for others, or only for yourself? Ask yourself questions like that. And, are you honestly drawn to cards for those purposes? There are other divination options, Runes and Ogham being the first two that come to my mind, so don't think it's cards or nothing.

Now, assuming you do feel drawn to cards, I'd take a good look at the packs you've got, and decide which deck of cards you like the most. Doesn't matter which kind it is, just which one you like. (If you don't like any of them, that's another conversation LOL). So, just concentrate on that one, your favourite - so you get to know and enjoy this one first.
Think about whether you like working at things on your own, or if you'd like to join a group (online is most likely your first 'group' option, face to face groups can be hard to find).

Most important though is to spend time looking at your cards - there is no substitute for getting to know the pictures, seeing how each one makes you feel - does it remind you of something, or make you imagine a story, or bring up a feeling? There is no 'wrong' at this point, but shuffle them, look at them, write a poem, keep a journal, talk out loud to them, whatever feels the best way to get to know them.

You may have a book or booklet that came especially with the deck. If you did, then after a week or so you could choose a card, see what YOU think about it, and then see what the book says - does it make sense to you, or does it seem 'way off'? Do you like the way the author expressed themselves? Does it make you go "Ah!" or "Eeew!"?

If you've gone for tarot deck, there are a lot of starting books you could turn to, but oracles, as we've mentioned, as each one differnt to some degree, and so you'll have to map it out more personally. If it's a tarot, some folks think you should learn fixed meanings, some folks think you should say whatever it seems to you, and some in the middle - like me - think it's useful to know what the author/artist meant, but if it says something different to you, sometimes or always, then that intuitive feeling is also important.

Enough of my waffle for now - if you think this sounds good, go get out your packs and LOOK at the cards. Don't worry about the titles of the decks, or who drew what, LOOK and see what YOU like. That's step one :)
Always learning, as the wheel turns.
Helen

PostAuthor: Hazel » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 pm

I would like to know if anyone has used the Rune decks for Divination and how they actually work a friend of mine has a beautiful set, I use the runes. but find I get better results from the Animal cards and Angel cards than Tarrot they seem to be easier to understand.
Hazel

PostAuthor: Helen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Hi Hazel, how nice to meet you :)
I have used this set:
http://www.tarotpassages.com/rune1.htm
and whilst I loved trying them, I did struggle a bit. It was an "intuitive exchange" reading on a website I belong to, where we'd agreed not to use the books that come with decks - so I was just reading them from the visuals, having no real knowledge of Runes as a system. But I'll keep trying because they are beautiful, and I think I can read the book inbetween times LOL!
There are several others sets illustrated on Aeclectic Tarot, on this page:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/runes.shtml

Did you have a particular set in mind Hazel?
I have some animal cards, but honestly I work most often with tarots. Which sets are you favourites?

So nice to meet you, look forward to lots more chat,
Blessed Be
Helen
Always learning, as the wheel turns.
Helen

PostAuthor: Hazel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi Helen
Thank you for you welcome and Tyllan as well.
it's nice to meet you both.
I use the Power Animal Oracle cards by Steven D Farmer which I prefer and the Messages from your Animal Guides by the same Author the second deck can some times be a little misleading, I use these two for general queries.

eg. my daughter wanted to know if she would be moving soon as she would like to add to her family. The power Animals said she would and a family would follow quickly. Four weeks after the reading the contracts where signed
today she informed me they move this Friday and the stomache bug is confirmed as a baby.
I have the original Rider Waite deck I can't use these.

My Angel of Light cards have no pictures but are really intuitive. these I use for mental problems. (stress etc) and no book is needed for them as they are straight forward.

Blessed Be
Hazel
Last edited by Hazel on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hazel

PostAuthor: Hazel » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Helen
this is great news the Rune cards that you mentioned by Tony Linsell are the ones my friend had, I felt bad asking him a third time what they where called and for the ISBN. I kept loosing the paper he had written them on.either myself or my two darling little Grand children who love playing with my purse, I have wanted these for the last couple of years.

I'm so glad you had them I have placed an order on line for them so I will not loose them again. unlike you I am not confident to try without the booklet I hope it's still going well.
Thank you for the info.
BB Hazel
Hazel

Previous

Return to Tarot