Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

To Draw The Death Card

To Draw The Death Card

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:52 pm

By Helen (Helen) on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 01:30 pm:

I was at a gathering of ladies last week where someone said "Oh no, I wouldn't have a Tarot reading, I'm always afraid I'd draw the Death card."

Now sadly I never got the chance to counter that, or speak to the person afterwards, so what would your first comments be to someone who said that?

I wanted to say it's not often about a physical death (although it can have that meaning sometimes.) For a lot of folk it 's going to be about endings, changes, transformations. In order to have room or time for something new, there has to be a letting go of something too.

I hope to pull this card from a couple of my decks, and see what else I might have thought to say; but anyone else got comments?
I'm cool with opposing ideas too :)

Blessings
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: To Draw The Death Card

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:52 pm

By summerisle (Summerisle) on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 03:30 pm:

Hi Helen,

"It is NOT usually a literal death" is very much the way to go.

Endings and beginnings - all that stuff.

People's ability to grasp that will always vary though. You can see similar things happening around the 2012 Mayan date thing; some say it's the end of an era and start of a new one. Others say "end of the world" :D

I guess it also ties in with our modern culture that makes us afraid of death, portrays it as an end of a linear lifespan, and processes that sterilise death and "protect" us from seeing it too closely.

If people understood/viewed actual death as part of a cycle, then they might be better placed to understand the death card as a symbol of transformation.

BB
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: To Draw The Death Card

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:53 pm

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 09:05 pm:

As a nurse I have seen death many times. It is not only the cessation of life and sacred lifeforce, but the disintegration of one of our bodies , namely the physical (the others being etheric,astral, etc.) Disintegration should not be seen automatically as an evil destruction against one's will or for ill, but the natural progression of dismantling of imperfect, unusable and damaged physical parts, opening the way for reintegration- rebuilding of a new being. We fear this process called death as we desire to hold on to what we know and have, fearing what lies beyond the present. So fear is associated with death because of our illusory desires to hold on.

I have seen so many suffer because of fear, and this suffering seems so much worse than the actual death moment when the physical body stops.
So I think this may be one look at the card.(From an amateur)
TheWiseHedgewitch

Return to Tarot