Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

How to shuffle a new or sorted deck?

How to shuffle a new or sorted deck?

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:02 pm

By Rook (Rook) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 03:42 pm:

Can anyone give me insight on how they shuffle a new or sorted deck? I know it might sound silly but what kind of measures do you take, for instance, to have some inverted cards before you start reading. I have been tying after sorting a deck to follow exercises in a book and now cant figure out the "right " way to get a suitable number of inverted cards. Should inverted cards be rare or about half the deck once your ready to start? I know this may sound ridiculous and believe me,as a reader of some considerable years it feels it, but its not touched on in any any book I have and as I am relatively new to using inverted cards as my usual spreads dont need them and its kinda knocking my confidence. Five card readings with three to five inverted just doesnt feel right.
Thanks folks (and dont laugh too much if its something really dumb Im doing)
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: How to shuffle a new or sorted deck?

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:03 pm

By Helen (Helen) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 06:25 pm:

Hi Rook. Your question is interesting, and made me turn to my bookshelves. In Tarot Card Combinations by Dorothy Kelly, she says you must use reversals; you are somehow tampering and/or diluting the card's messages if you don't. But Cassandra Easson in her Complete Book of Tarot has an opposite idea; that there is enough subtlety in the cards and their messages not to need reversals at all; handle the cards so you don't have any. There are in-between opinions as well, maybe Joan Bunnings is an example of that.
So really I think it's down to what feels right to you. Maybe you'll even have some packs which you feel don't want/need to have reversed cards, and some packs where it seems right? If you think 50/50 is too many reversals, start with all the cards upright, cut how many you want to be reversed, turn them and gently shuffle them in. Then provided you always pick up and lay down in the same way you have the same proportions. It does just now occur to me that you would always have the same cards coming out reversed that way; so maybe you'll have to devise something more random.
I'm only a beginner, and I don't currently use reversed cards, and I don't feel any lack for that, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing?
Do you belong to any of the online Tarot lists? I'm sure you could pose that question there and get some other interesting views. I could recommend a couple to consider joining if you don't use any...but again my experience is limited.
Maybe some others here will chip in with how they do things. Let us know what you decide to work with.
Blessed Be
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:04 pm

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 08:18 pm:

I'm not skilled at Tarot but I do have the obligatory deck or two.

I was taught that before I begin to shuffle, to lay the stack face-down on the table in front of me and then fan it out across the table so that most of the cards are exposed but still overlapping. I don't fuss over it & just make one pass. It doesn't have to be neat.

Then I relax, think of the question, and just let my hand hover over the fan of cards from one end of the row to the other, again making only one pass. "Something" tells me which ones to reverse. It may be that my eyes will be drawn to one card, or my hand "dips" lower as it passes over a card, or a warmth in my palm. I never count them or pay attention to how many are reversed. And sometimes not a single card gets reversed.

Then I scoop them back into a face down pile to shuffle them in an ordinary way,(usually three times) and being careful not to reverse the whole deck. I think of the question while shuffling. If I drop a card, I set it aside & use it to shed extra insight on the standard spread of the cards.

After the reading, I work with them face-up and put all the cards upright and back into numerical sequence. I was told that this is a way to clear the deck of the former reading.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:04 pm

By Hearthfire (Hearthfire) on Wednesday, December 7, 2005 - 02:31 pm:

I have a very childish and basic way of dealing with this! I lay all the cards face down and just swirl them about while thinking of the issue in question, not worrying about whether they're turning around or not. Then I gather them up and cut them into three decks, choose one deck and deal from that. I figure that that will allow all permutations of messages to reach me, and it allows the deck to work in its own way.

But hey, that's just me! J

BB Hearthfire
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:05 pm

By Rook (Rook) on Thursday, December 8, 2005 - 12:22 pm:

Thanks folks. Think Im gonna turn them all upright shuffle and then just get on and stop fussing. Bright blessings
TheWiseHedgewitch

Return to Tarot