Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Symbolism of the Stag

For any information or photos regarding animals, familiars, guides etc.

Symbolism of the Stag

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:48 am

In honour of the latest release and culmination of the Harry Potter stories :D

Mabon is the season in which the harvest is being gathered. It's also the time in which the hunt often begins - deer and other animals are killed during the autumn in many parts of the world. In some Pagan and Wiccan traditions, the deer is highly symbolic, and takes on many aspects of the God during the harvest season.

For many Wiccans, the antlers of the stag are associated directly with the fertility of the God. The Horned God, in his many incarnations, often appears wearing a headdress of antlers. In some depictions, the horns grow directly from his head. Early Paleolithic cave art shows men wearing antlers on their heads, so it would appear that the horn or antler has long been a symbol of worship in some form or another. In Egyptian legend, many gods appear to wear a pair of horns on their head.

In some Pagan paths, there is a correlation between the shape of a pair of horns and the crescent moon. The image of a stag with a full moon between his antlers represents both the male (the antlers) and the female (the moon) aspects of the Divine.

Mabon is the time, in many areas, when hunting season begins. While many Pagans are opposed to hunting, others feel that they can hunt for food as our ancestors did. For many Pagans, equally as important as the idea of caring about animals is the concept of responsible wildlife management. The fact is, in some areas, wild animals such as whitetail deer, antelope, and others have reached the status of nuisance animal.

The Stag, Damh in the Gaelic tongue, is also linked to the sacredness of the magical forest. The Damh represents independence, purification, and pride. It is known as the King of the Forest, the protector of its creatures. For time immemorial people have sought to identify with the stag by ceremonially wearing antlered headdresses and imitating the deer's leaping grace.

The set of antlers grown by the male deer are antennae that connect it to higher energies. If you come across a deer in the wild, try to count the number of points on their antlers. This number is associated with numerology and can carry great significance for those with this power animal.
Attachments
13711stag.jpg
13711stag.jpg (22.59 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

Re: Symbolism of the Stag

PostAuthor: Skywalker (Deceased) » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:05 am

Well done to mention Harry Potter, Tylluan. I'm looking forward to the movie.

But I also like the symbol of the stag with the full moon between his antlers. I like the blending, the tide that goes between, assertiveness and accepting, something I'm still trying to get right in my life.

Brightest Blessings,

Jim
Skywalker (Deceased)

Return to Animals & Familiars