Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

A thought for the Birds

For any information or photos regarding animals, familiars, guides etc.

A thought for the Birds

PostAuthor: Hazel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:59 pm

With the cold weather and the snow, the birds are still scavaging around in my Garden, I do have a feeder which I have to fill alternate days, I came across this sugestion and thought I'd share it with you.

Decorate a tree for the birds or other wild animals who live near your home. (Be sure that while you are feeding the birds, you are not inviting the local dog or cat to feast on the birds. The decorations should be high up and in a fenced area if possible.)
String plain popcorn (this is easier if the popcorn is a little stale) or plain oat cereal to form garlands. Cut slices of bread with a cookie cutter and spread with peanut butter and sprinkle with birdseed. Add apple slices, cranberries and suet balls (mix birdseed into bacon drippings and form into a balls which you tie up in pieces of the mesh bags that onions or oranges come in.) All these are lovely, messy activities, with which your smallest children will be able to help.

B.B.
Hazel
Hazel

Re: A thought for the Birds

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Fantastic ideas Hazel. I'd never heard of the peanut butter slices before but I may have a job taking them from Rowan!

Thanks for the tips.
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: IndigoCrow » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 am

Just thought I should mention, that bacon fat, is especially salty, and its worth checking salt content in peanut butter too as many birds cannot tolerate salt, with fatal consequences.

IndigoCrow

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks Indigocrow! The last thing we want to do is make it worse for the birds!
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Hazel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Thank you Indigo Crow for your input although I only buy low salt foods I had not thought of the salt contents harming the birds, I will be more careful in the future,
Hi everyone I've been on an unexpected holiday in Marakesh for the past couple of weeks. of which was extreamly hot over 32C in the evenings. and I had an argument with a concrete parasol base which crushed my foot so I can only come on occationaly when hubby is willing to push the wheel chair into the computer room. things have been active on the Rusty Cauldron in my absence so I will read up while I can.
B.B. Hazel
Hazel

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:49 am

Hi Hazel

Yay for your unexpected holiday but Boo for the injury. I hope your foot heals soon. Good to have you back :D

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Southernwood » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:30 pm

Hey Hazel, sorry to hear about your poor foot, welcome back. Hope your garden is looking good, mine's a bit of a mess so need to get out & get some work done. Got great tomatoes & loads of curly kale to get through yum!

Any good recipes for tomato chutney anyone?

Take care
Mary

Southernwood

Return to Animals & Familiars