Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Talking to the birds

For any information or photos regarding animals, familiars, guides etc.

Re: Talking to the birds

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:11 am

By Agalasha (Agalasha) on Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 03:39 pm:

LOL Wildwood. Good luck with those swans. Perhaps this is a case of beauty and brains not combining! You'll just have to try and help out if there is an emergency, I'm sure the macho will let you (what DO you call a male swan? gander?) Hmmm.

Re crows: A few years ago Barney and I were walking through Stanley Park in Vancouver and a molmacha was peacefully working the field for grubs. There must have been at least 100 crows there. Suddenly -- and it was a "time stopped" moment - - a hawk plummeted and landed dead on her prey, effectively breaking its neck. There was a moment of absolute stillness, then all hell broke loose! Every crow took to the air cawing and flapping, absolutely startled and enraged. The hawk was only just able to get away with her crow. That molmacha meant murder! Vengeance! Oh it took my breath away.

Once driving in Victoria I saw a dead crow on a sidewalk and if I'd had a plastic bag I would have brought the carcass home -- it's incredibly lucky to find a crow. I would have used the feathers and some parts in my crane bag for divination. Now I always make sure I have a garbage bag and gloves in the car. I found a dead rooster (fighting cock) here and also a hawk.

Here in Baja we have ravens, not crows. I love to hear the ravens saluting on a fly-by, but I miss crows. When we lived in British Columbia, I much preferred them to grey squirrels, another raucous animal. The squirrels contributed nothing but ate the eggs of our Chickadees. Crows freak people out because the watch us, but I like that.

I'm really not sure what I'm on about here, but feeling chatty this morning!

BB to all
*a
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:12 am

By Wildwood (Wildwood) on Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 05:11 pm:

Male swan is a Cob, females are called pens. I believe that the writing implement called a pen is named after the female swan's feather. Haven't checked it out and I'm probably wrong - but it sounds good.

You are bringing a new meaning to the term roadkill - but at least you clean up the roads, a rattlesnake might be useful, what would you do with a raccoon.

In the UK people used to have rook pie, but I've not seen too many on the roads round here.

As for blethering, it is difficult to out blether the ladies.

B.B.
Wildwood
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Agalasha (Agalasha) on Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 07:10 pm:

Rattlesnake flesh is used here in a tea for prostate problems. And some skin issues.

I don't eat them, you silly man, I use their parts! Oh I know you're having me on.

BTW you are on extremely thin ice, you swan-lover you... :D

BB
*a
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Chicory (Chicory) on Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 07:40 pm:

do ya'll know the rhyme that goes:

"one crow for sorrow, two for mirth
three for a wedding, four for birth
five for silver and six for gold
seven for a secret that's never been told."

found it last night in "ancient ways" by pauline and dan campanelli.

bb
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:13 am

By Merissa (Merissa) on Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 07:52 pm:

Hi Chicory

I've heard of that rhyme but it was for magpies, not crows. And it's got 3 more numbers added on as well:

One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret, never to be told
Eight for a wish
Nine for a kiss
Ten for a bird you must not miss

Quite similar though, I'm sure you'll agree :lol:

bb

Rissa
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 am

By Chicory (Chicory) on Friday, May 7, 2010 - 08:12 pm:

rissa, they are quite similar; how interesting! crows and magpies are in the same family (Corvidae) along with jays and ravens. so maybe it's not which Corvidae you see but the number that's important?

agalasha, you're not the only one who collects roadkill. i did while taking vertebrate natural history; my mum didn't appreciate the dead frozen squirrels in the freezer and especially not the live-but-in-cold-torpor salamanders/lizards/small snakes in the fridge (she really didn't when she saw i used her favorite tupperware to put them in).
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 am

By Agalasha (Agalasha) on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 04:34 pm:

For Wildwood:

I woke up very early on Beltane day, and mindful of what you said last year, I decided to stumble outside and give a roll on the dewy grass (I forgot about this last year). Doffing my nightie I lolled about feeling like a kid again, and was rewarded when I heard the mockingbird's song(s) -- he comes by twice a year and it felt like a good omen to have his arrive on Beltane, The "mocking" may have had to do with my state of "deshabille." :lol:

The Aztec name for this bird is CENTZONTLE and they are regarded as spirits of warriors who died in battle (very honorable death, as in many cultures):

BB
*a
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 am

By Wildwood (Wildwood) on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 09:43 pm:

Dear Agalasha,
You are lucky that you have the climate to roll about "dishabille". In our neck of the woods the result would be pneumonia.
Actually I'm lost for words. In past posts Freyawyche recounted stories and I visualised her as the Goddess flying through the skies. Agalasha throwing caution, and clothing, to the winds is enough to cause problems with my visualisation (short circuits etc!!!).
Lucky Mockingbird.

B.B.
Wildwood
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 am

By Wildwood (Wildwood) on Saturday, June 5, 2010 - 04:12 pm:

Quick update.
Madam, has as least three little ones, yesterday afternoon. Mr Swan has become very protective, all his own work you know!
If the weather stays fine they should do well.

B.B.
Wildwood
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:16 am

By Agalasha (Agalasha) on Saturday, June 5, 2010 - 06:42 pm:

Oh Wildwood, congratulations on being a Goddessfather! I was just thinking of you and your Swan family yesterday and wondering how you're all doing.

I unfortunately came across a birdie baby that didn't make it and gave her a burial in the garden beside the Mugwort. Somehow that felt right.

I will keep my fingers X'd for the cygnets!

BB
*a
TheWiseHedgewitch

PreviousNext

Return to Animals & Familiars