Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 5 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: Baidu [Spider] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Talking to the birds

For any information or photos regarding animals, familiars, guides etc.

Talking to the birds

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:04 am

By Wildwood (Wildwood) on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 05:10 pm:

I need a suggestion or two here, please?
There is a lake at the bottom of my garden, a place of bliss and solitude and sometimes mayhem. The problem is that a couple of swans have started to nest, that is fantastic they do it every year. They have decided to locate their nest in a place that is not good. The water level in the lake is currently pretty low and if we get much rain the nest will probably get waterlogged and the eggs will never hatch - sadly this has happened in previous years.
Can any of you suggest a way of communicating with my feathered friends, apart from evicting them (the male bird can be pretty vicious).
I've tried talking to them but to no avail.

B.B.
Wildwood
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: Talking to the birds

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:05 am

By Merissa (Merissa) on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 07:28 pm:

Hi Wildwood

I thought I'd start with the completely practical approach and looked on the net. Here's the not so helpful tip:-

"There's a swan's nest in a really vulnerable location - what can be done?

If the nest is vulnerable to interference from human factors, such as on a tow-path or the bank of a pond where people walk their dogs, then you should contact your local council and ask them to erect protective fencing around the nest. If the nest is vulnerable to natural events such as high tides & floodwater then it should be left alone so that the swans can learn from the experience - if a young couple lose a nest under these circumstances then they will learn not to build a nest so low down the next year. Sad as it is, they have to be allowed to learn from natural experiences which is one reason why it is illegal to interfere with a swan's nest in any way."

Now I've done that, I'll put my witchy head back on and see if I can come up with anything. Don't hold your breath though. I don't seem to have much luck with any bird apart from Owls and Magpies. I dread to think what that says about me!

BB

Rissa
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:05 am

By Wildwood (Wildwood) on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 09:23 am:

Magpies fly away as soon as they see me. However if I go on one of my local walks I get surrounded by crows, usually about 10 but sometimes 20 or 30. I find it almost a compliment, they hop along, they chatter away - some come close enough to touch. I confess that I talk to them, and tell them how much I admire their glossy plumage and antics. It's a real pleasure. I'm surprised that so many crows will get together - remember the old saying two crows in a field are rooks but one rook in a tree is a crow. My feathered friends are definitely not solitary.

One caveat, if the dog is around, no crows!

Maybe I should get the crows to talk to the swans!

B.B.
Wildwood
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 am

By Merissa (Merissa) on Friday, April 23, 2010 - 09:49 am:

I see so many magpies that my son has called them "Mummy's Birds" for years. This is because we went to the south of France for a holiday one year and within a day, he was seeing magpies and one kept landing on our caravan roof.

He told me that whenever he sees one when we're not together, he knows that I'm thinking of him. It brought a lump to my throat that's for sure.

I would definitely find it a compliment. Have you looked into the crow's attributes to see if you have something in common? Or meditated to see if anything comes to you that way?

bb

Rissa
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 am

By Wildwood (Wildwood) on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 07:24 pm:

Well, too late for crows or me to talk to Mrs Swan. Couple of eggs laid already and she's hunkered down. I just hope that the weather stays OK for her. Last year she had 7 that hatched but only 3 that survived. The male swan is being fairly defensive and was being aggressive to a family of ducklings who got too close. I hope the Lord and Lady will be well pleased, after a slow start spring is making up for lost time!

As for crow attributes that I might have in common, well .... Let me think.
    Handsome creatures.
    Very intelligent.
    My lot are gregarious.
    They swagger about a great deal.
    They make a lot of noise (they must be the females)
    They are probably pompous, if there is such a thing as avian pomposity (probably a male attribute).
Hmmmm a great deal to think about!

I do appreciate the Mummy's Birds connection, it's as though you are watching and caring from afar.

B.B.
Wildwood
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:07 am

By Agalasha (Agalasha) on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 08:05 pm:

...and a crowd of crows are a "murder," no? :)

Seems like the swans have a healthy survival rate at just under 50%, WW! How wonderful for you that you have swans! You are blessed,
indeed!

BB
*a
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:07 am

By Wildwood (Wildwood) on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 10:50 pm:

.............Murder..............

Black hearted as well, no doubt!!

Bubble bubble toil and trouble..

On the other hand, I might be quite a nice chap!! But that is for others to say.

B.B.
Wildwood
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 am

By Merissa (Merissa) on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 08:46 am:

I think you're "quite a nice chap" but with a 'wicked' sense of humour.

It's good to know you Wildwood

BB

Rissa
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 am

By Merissa (Merissa) on Monday, May 3, 2010 - 12:56 pm:

Hi Wildwood

Have you had any luck with your swans yet?

I've also found this out about crows and thought you might like it:-

"Crow intelligence
As group, Crows demonstrate admirable examples of intelligence and they are considered by many to be the most intelligent birds. They seem to show signs of planning and communication between individuals. One of their species, the New Caledonian Crow (Corvus moneduloides), has recently been studied intensively regarding its ability to make and to use its own tools to obtain its food. It creates hooks from plant materials, and uses these self-made tools to skilfully remove grubs from logs.
Crows can count slightly. For example if three people enter a bird observation hut and two then leave, they know that the hut is not empty. Crows can learn to speak words and short sentences even clearer than parrots.

All crows have the interesting habit of collecting and hiding away bright objects that they do not seem to have any particular use of, apart from their attraction to the object's brilliance. Despite their remarkable abilities though, Crows and Ravens are very rarely kept as pets or domestic animals. This may be partly due to their mischievousness, which can be annoying.

Crow Legends and Mythology
The remarkable Crows and Ravens have roles in legends and myths worldwide. Their wisdom, intelligence and flying powers were used by Ancient Gods and Kings. These birds and superstitions surrounding them also played a role in the day-to-day lives of people. "

"Like the raven, the crow is a bird which appears in world mythology as a soothsayer, an omen of death and as a creator and cleanser, taking away all that was decayed. Full of intelligence, cunning, and playfulness, the crow was seen as a guardian of the sacred alw among the tribes of North America, a creature whose far-seeing eye saw past, present, and future all at once. For the Algonquin peoples, Crow was the bringer of grains and beans. In the Ghost Dances, which are danced to solicit the help of their ancestors, Crow is a primary spirit messenger.

Crows and ravens have an intricate and detailed history in Celtic lore and legend. The Irish battle goddesses, Morrigan and Badbh, regulary took the shape of crows, and both crows and ravens were their allies and companions. In Scottish folklore, the crow is said to have 27 different cries (a magical 3 times 9), each of which relates to a different event. These oracular cries can foretell the coming of important guests, an impending loss or death, or the coming of good fortune, a complete body of lore was built up from listening to the varied calls of the crows, which has the ability to mimic many kinds of sounds as well as to communicate with its own kind. When there is a molmacha (flock of crows), all crying together, it is said that no one but the most wise seer in the land can understand their words."

Hope you like this info!

BB

Rissa
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 am

By Wildwood (Wildwood) on Thursday, May 6, 2010 - 02:48 pm:

My swans have not taken any notice of my advice, not the first time I've been ignored! Just hope we don't get too many torrential downpours.

Loved the info on crows and ravens. Sad to admit though that when a molmacha is in full voice, often the case with my friends, I cannot understand all that they are saying. Nearest I can understand is "Caw Blimey", and then the last word is often distorted.

B.B.
Wildwood
TheWiseHedgewitch

Next

Return to Animals & Familiars