Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: Baidu [Spider] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Soul Friends

For any topic that you have, or would like to have, in your own Book of Shadows.

Soul Friends

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 pm

I've recently just re-read "A Witch Alone" by Marian Green and once again have loved every word. I thought I would share this bit as I feel it is an important but often neglected part of modern day living.

Another valuable task certainly carried out by witches of old, as they served their communities, was that called, in the Celtic Church, 'Soul Friends'. These people, men and women, were respected for the way they lived their lives and would be freely consulted by anyone in trouble, of heart, mind or spirit. It was possible to discuss spiritual or emotional matters with them, in a lonely grove or quiet garden. There was not offering of forgiveness by an un-sanctified priesthood, but gentle comfort, support or guidance. All these things have been sadly neglected in our hurried world. To be able to turn to a wise friend, whose views would be impartial yet caring could go a long way to easing the spiritual deprivation of our towns and cities. Soul Friends were companions of children, who might tell of rough treatment by their elders; or of single women deserted by their menfolk yet trying to rear children alone. They helped the elderly, slowly walking to the gates of death, yet comforted and guided by those wise in such matters. Perhaps the witches of the New Age will restore such a sacred calling to their repertoire, and be willing to listen and advise both pagan and others who seek such consolation.

I hope that I have taken a step on this path as I have been told that I am a good listener and give advice without judgment. I feel that to be a Soul Friend is as important as other parts of the Hedgewitch path. I hope you enjoyed reading the explanation :)
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

Re: Soul Friends

PostAuthor: Skywalker (Deceased) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:15 pm

I look around at a world that is increasingly frenetic and hectic... I look at a world where you're almost expected to be a hustler... My world, for the moment...

And for a moment, you were that soul friend to all of us, Tylluan. Thank you.

Brightest Blessings,

Jim
Skywalker (Deceased)

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Thank you for your kind words, Jim. I'm glad that you enjoyed reading it.
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Southernwood » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:44 pm

One of my favourite books too & a lovely passage; I think the Rusty Cauldron is a fine example in its way

Southernwood

PostAuthor: arablue » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Tylluan,

These words really touched me. I have been told in the past that I am a good listener, and I keep good counsel.

Stephen King wrote: "The most important things are the hardest things to say ... That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." And that quote really struck a chord. Having someone to talk with who will understand without judging, and who could offer unbiased advice is something of great value.

Thank you so much for the quote Tylluan, it has given me much to think about. I feel my path draws me toward healing and helping, though being a counselor professionally would be too much for me, this gentle comfort, support or guidance sounds perfect. (I am adding Marian Green's "A Witch Alone" to my list of books I want to read!)
Bright Blessings,
Arablue.
arablue

PostAuthor: Hazel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi Tylluan.
one thing I am sure that everyone here will agree,
you are a soul friend to all of us.
since joining Rusty Cauldron you have helped me and given me valuable advice, to which I am eternaly greatfull.

I certainly enjoyed reading the segment, and hope to get the book soon.
Thank you

B.B.
Hazel
Hazel

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:37 am

Arablue - that quote from Stephen King is such a good one and explains very clearly the problem that is there at times. Thank you for putting it here.

Hazel - I have no idea what advice I've given but am glad that it's been useful instead of the normal waffle that I give :D

I love Marian's book (as you might have guessed) as it is 'guidance' rather than orders. There are exercises to do at the end of each chapter, as well as a suggested reading list. But you don't have to do the exercises unless you want to.

For those of you that already have it, I hope you enjoyed it too. For those of you that haven't yet, I can't recommend it enough.

There's also some more that I'll be posting on in a couple of days :)

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Hazel Wood » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:29 pm

I love the work of Marian Green and love her book ‘A Witch Alone’.

I feel the concept of the soul friend can be a path in itself to walk.

The ability to move into relationship where spirit touches spirit, for me, is an expression of one of the highest potentials that a human can reach for.

I feel people these days thirst for such relationship. We look for it all the time and sometimes in the wrong places. Sometimes people mistake lust for a soul friend connection, which it is not and yet maybe at times it could be.

A soul friend is a true gift.

Hazel Wood

Hazel Wood

PostAuthor: Wildwood » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 pm

In many respects "The Rusty Cauldron" is a quiet place or a lonely grove where requests are made and advice given without shame or blame or criticism. If you look through the old forum as well as the new stuff there have been plenty of cries for help and the listeners have been there. Sometimes the help is "just" words of support, "just" is not a sufficient word since the act of replying is an act of friendship.

Being regarded as a "Soul Friend" is indeed something to be proud of.

B.B.
Wildwood
Wildwood
Site Admin

PostAuthor: Skywalker (Deceased) » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:42 am

it is that aspect of the Board that first drew me to it. This Board has always been made up of exceptional people, Anam Cara.

Brightest Blessings,

Jim
Skywalker (Deceased)

Next

Return to Book of Shadows