Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

My First Litha - any ideas?

My First Litha - any ideas?

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:31 pm

By Annette (Annette) on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 08:58 pm:

Its Litha, summer solstice soon, and as a new comer I have no idea what to do to celebrate. Any ideas? Unfortunately living in the Scottish Highlands, with funds at an all time low I am finding it hard to come up with anything.

BB

Annette
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: My First Litha - any ideas?

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 pm

By Agalasha (Agalasha) on Tuesday, June 8, 2010 - 09:15 pm:

Hello and Merry Meet Annette!

There's lots you can do without funds...

-keep an honorific vigil: rise before the sun does and watch it set. You'll sacrifice an hour of sleep I imagine but gain so much!
-build a small fire or failing that, light a candle and jump over it twice: once to leave something you don't want in the fire and once to make a wish for the year
-Bake a loaf of bread (quickbread) with seeds in a round shape, have a round cheese and slice apples laterally to enjoy the 5-pointed star while you eat (maybe apples won't be available. Any round fruit will do). There must be loads of wonderful old folk traditions where you live -- most of them are based around the (real) Old Ways
-Drink mead if you can, libation of bees and the sun
-buy some cheap yellow ribbons and festoon yourself and some plants with them. Use them as "clooties" to carry your desires to the Gods.
-find a sprig of Oak and Holly for your altar, to remind you that on Litha or Alban Hefin, the Oak King gives way to the Holly King as the Light gives way to the Darkness.

I'm sure the others here will give you some great ideas. How's life in the Scottish Highlands? That's intriguing! We are a geographically diverse group here and we all love to share and learn. Tell us more!

BB
*a
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 pm

By Merissa (Merissa) on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 06:11 pm:

Hi Annette

Here's a list of correspondences that I've found for you. It's from a website that's got a lot of interesting information. Let me know if you want the link. Most of these things you can get very cheaply or you may already have. And remember, it's what in your heart that's important.

May the Lord and Lady bless you with lots of love, prosperity, health and well-being.

Litha Correspondences
Originally Posted: May 16th, 1995. Updated: April 30th, 2010

Purpose
Re-dedication to the Lord and Lady, beginning of the harvest, honouring the Sun God, honouring the pregnant Goddess.

Dynamics/Meaning
Crowning of the Sun God, death of the Oak King, assumption of the Holly King, end the ordeal of the Green Man

Tools, Symbols & Decorations
The sun, oak, birch & fir branches, sun flowers, lilies, red/maize/yellow or gold flower, love amulets, seashells, summer fruits & flowers, feather/flower door wreath, sun wheel, fire, circles of stone, sun dials and swords/blades, bird feathers, Witches' ladder.

Colours
Blue, green, gold, yellow and red.

Customs
Bonfires, processions, all night vigil, singing, feasting, celebrating with others, cutting divining rods, dowsing rods & wands, herb gathering, handfastings, weddings, Druidic gathering of mistletoe in oak groves, needfires, leaping between two fires, mistletoe (without berries, use as a protection amulet), women walking naked through gardens to ensure continued fertility, enjoying the seasonal fruits & vegetables, honour the Mother's fullness, richness and abundance, put garlands of St. John's Wort placed over doors/ windows & a sprig in the car for protection.

Goddesses
Mother Earth, Mother Nature, Venus, Aphrodite, Yemaya, Astarte, Freya, Hathor, Ishtar, all Goddesses of love, passion, beauty and the Sea, and Pregnant, lusty Goddesses, Green Forest Mother; Great One of the Stars, Goddess of the Wells.

Gods
Father Sun/Sky, Oak King, Holly King, Arthur, Gods at peak power and strength.

Animals/Mythical Beings
Wren, robin, horses, cattle, satyrs, faeries, firebird, dragon, thunderbird

Gemstones
Lapis lazuli, diamond, tiger's eye, all green gemstones, especially emerald and jade

Herbs
Anise, mugwort, chamomile, rose, wild rose, oak blossoms, lily, cinquefoil, lavender, fennel, elder, mistletoe, hemp, thyme, larkspur, nettle, wisteria, vervain ( verbena), St. John's wort, heartsease, rue, fern, wormwood, pine,heather, yarrow, oak & holly trees.

Incense/Oil
Heliotrope, saffron, orange, frankincense & myrrh, wisteria, cinnamon, mint, rose, lemon, lavender, sandalwood, pine

Rituals/Magics
Nature spirit/fey communion, planet healing, divination, love & protection magics. The battle between Oak King, God of the waxing year & Holly King, God of the waning year (can be a ritual play), or act out scenes from the Bard's (an incarnation of Merlin) "A Midsummer Night's Dream", re-dedication of faith, rites of inspiration.

Foods
Honey, fresh vegetables, lemons, oranges, summer fruits, summer squash, pumpernickel bread, ale, carrot drinks, mead.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 pm

By Agalasha (Agalasha) on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 06:32 pm:

Wow you are good, Rissa!

There are worlds of ideas and Craftways on the board!

BB on this sunny day
*a
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 pm

By Annette (Annette) on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 09:43 pm:

Oh wow, thank you all so much, I've more than enough ideas now, and here was I feeling all down because I couldn't think of anything.
Being an ex Christian I think my thinking for myself has been slightly squashed.

Merissa the link would be great. I am full of renewed excitement now. I was in two minds whether or not to book the day off work..and now I know I must to fit in all I want to do.

Living in the Highlands is a blessing and a curse. There is beauty in nature all around the wee cottage we live in but then again it takes ages to get anywhere! Ah well we can't have everything....
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:34 pm

By Wildwood (Wildwood) on Thursday, June 10, 2010 - 10:26 pm:

Hi Annette, many of the people on this forum have a Christian background - in fact I think most have a Catholic history. So many of us have family and friends who are suspicious of our "Hedgie" ways, some of us are lucky enough to have partners who embrace the craft, I think my wife views my thoughts as the onset of dementia , or worse. A number of people who have posted here have thought deeply about the craft and subsequently returned to regimented religion. Those that have stayed the path appear to be the strong independent thinkers, and you will find the current posters particularly so.

By the way the Highlands are magnificent but I suggest you work on a spell or two to minimise the effect of the "midge", you could sort your financial problems very easily. I suggest Bog Myrtle as a starter. Anyway I've noticed them appearing in Fife recently - not nice at all.

Welcome and please keep posting.

B.B.
Wildwood
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:34 pm

By Chicory (Chicory) on Friday, June 11, 2010 - 11:02 pm:

hi annette:
don't forget to make solar cross wheels: an equal armed cross in a circle...good to hang for balance/harmony and blessing on trees, shrubs, doors, etc. can even be made small enough to wear as a necklace charm. i make mine out of bendy vine/branches (willow, forsythia, honeysuckle) and use twine/yarn to secure cross to the center.

thanks for the correspondences rissa!

bb
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 pm

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 07:21 pm:

Hi Annette. Welcome. As our Wild Lad has said, many of us have a Catholic/Anglican/Christian background. Do not be shy- even if you still believe in some of the Christian ways but are searching out the wiccan/pagan ones as well we will not squash you or be shocked. We kind of accept any kind of searching. In fact sometimes the search IS the path. Keep on going with faith in life and all its possibilities.
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Agalasha (Agalasha) on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 09:36 pm:

Hey Annette,

here's a little extra on things you can do for Alban Hefin (Litha)
courtesy of my Druid companions:

--Get out in the sun.
--Do something you've always wanted to do but not dared.
--Sit in a shadow.
--Harvest your garlic (!)
--Dance or movement meditation: dance in the sun, offering it the different sides and parts of your body. As you offer up head, shoulders, arms, legs, fingers etc, let that part lead your movements for a time. Thaw out and melt away tensions. Dance!
--and remember that we harvest and dry herbs at this time, herbs that you will use on your altar/in your workings for the rest of the year. I would imagine you have access to heather and broom, if you don't have a garden started?? Be very careful how you harvest these plants, especially ferns! Some of the herbs you cut at Litha will be ceremoniously burned further on in the year.

OK off to savor the rest of my Sunday afternoon.
BB
*a
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Annette (Annette) on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 08:56 pm:

Thank you all, I've only managed the morning off work but I will savour it. Hubby has even found a old stone circle in nearby woods so we're off there, having never been before, I'm excited to say the least. I've kept an eye on the weather and it seems to be fine so far.

I have tried with a garden but the soil isn't great, so I had a few herbs in pots unfortunately a late frost has put pay to them.

Thanks for the encouragement, its so nice to know. Unfortunately Christian friends are quite so understanding.

I'm reading and learning...and loving the journey. Will keep you posted.
TheWiseHedgewitch

Next

Return to Litha Rituals & Correspondences