Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests

Most users ever online was 53 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:39 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Trance Journeys & Hedgewitches

Trance Journeys & Hedgewitches

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:24 pm

By Bonnie on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:21 pm:

Helen asked me a good question & I think I'll pass it on. The question: How much is Trance Journeying a part of wicca and hedge-witchery? And how much do you meditate as part of your path?

I'd like to know if other hedge witches here incorporate trance journeying into their practice.

Personally, I meditate 2-3 times a week for 10-30 minutes; and I journey about 4 times a year. Having read Rae's "Wiccan Path", & seeing the flexibility that journeying can take, I want to make it more a part of my Sabbat and Esbat observances. How 'bout you? Anybody?
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: Trance Journeys & Hedgewitches

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:24 pm

By rowan on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:35 pm:

hi Bonnie,I go into trance sitting in my bedroom chair. I always go through the same procedure. I say prayers first, one for the world, one for friends, one for me. I then ask the Goddess for guidance and protection. I then see the chair is in a wood and I can feel the forest floor under my feet. I get up and walk into a clearing as Rae describes in her book. I walk to the four corners and greet the spirits of the elements and the fifth element. Sometimes I just stay in the clearing. My familiar spirit might join me. If there's something on my mind I ask the spirits if they have a message for me. Sometimes I feel guided to go out of the clearing. I always return the same way, and ask the spirits for blessing and thank them. I then return to the chair which I can see along a path from the clearing to come back.I meditate about once a week, but often "drift off" for a few minutes!
The answers to any questions I ask do make sense eventually!
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:25 pm

By Bonnie on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

Hi Rowan - My power place recently is a beach that I enter thru a tunnel of greenery that opens onto a beach. There's a campfire with logs around it to sit on. I do a circle before I trance to incorporate the quarters and Deity, then when I get to the beach I'll just sit on a log & watch the waves in peace and quiet to deepen the mood. Eventually someone taps me on the shoulder if I've come there to inquire rather than to soak up the silence.

And like you say, the answers do eventually reveal their truth. The language and phrasing of Spirit is very subtle & gets at the root of meanings.

Thanks Rowan for your comments. It's a tough subject to talk about because it's quite personal and you can't tell everything, or it's like pulling the plug. So I appreciate your thoughts.
TheWiseHedgewitch

By rosie on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 05:01 pm:

hi bonnie,

i haven't had any experience with trance work yet, mainly because a couple of years ago i had an out of body experience in the night which scared me off a bit, mainly because i didn't have a clue what was going on! for a long time i've been meaning to regularly meditate/ use relaxation techniques to get used to the trance state and let go of feeling afraid of it. i started to do this yesterday and so far its proving very useful. i find it easiest to lie on the floor (i tend to fall asleep if i lie on the bed) with a pillow under my head and a blanket over me. i light a few candles and some patchouli incense and just start by consciously relaxing myself, then using breathing techniques. i've always found it quite easy to get into a hypnagogic state, so i'm just working around that at the moment. if anyone has any suggestions for how to practice it'd be great to hear them! :)
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Bonnie on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

I envy the ease with which you get to the hypnogogic state (grin). I either take forever and a day to get there - annoyed by every little noise in the neighborhood - or overshoot the runway & don't remember squat when I get back, LOL. And every time I sit down in my "meditation" rocking chair, my cat implants herself on my chest and purrs along like a glee club. But I'm getting used to her. When she falls silent, I know I've gotten down to the "proper" level to begin working. So she's a good indicator.

I wish I could give you reams of advise to help but the little I can suggest is to keep at it and know that you will be guided. Be gentle in bringing your mind back if it wanders & ask your guide to teach you what you most need at the moment, one step at a time. I think an expectant attitude is best.

Create your astral image place-of-power by using the same image every time so that it builds up a reality in your mind. Then it's easier to let go. Your place is safe.

As you go thru your mundane day, maybe you could practice getting quiet without slipping into hypno-mode by using your breathing techniques but knowing when to quit, & grounding (very important). This would help create greater control of the in-out state.

A good time to practice is when watching TV - during the commercials (mute the TV 1st or you may end up buying 20 cans of something you'd never wanted just 'cuz it was advertised when your mind was vulnerable.) Or in the check out line at the store, when you're on "hold" on the phone. Fill the useless moments with something useful. Well, that's my 2-cents.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 pm

By Helen S-K on Wednesday, January 1, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

This is all great stuff, and reading it reminds me that I've done some of this journeying myself when I was taking a metaphysics class and meditating regularly.

A question- since it appears that some of you do not meditate daily are there things you do in between those sessions for the purpose of centering and feeling your connection w/Goddess-God?

Also-Happy New Year to all!

Warm Blessings, Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 pm

By Bonnie on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

Hi 'n HNY! I just use centering, almost without even thinking about it, & it puts me right "there". I don't try to maintain the deep goddess awareness as a constant level of consciousness outside the circle. But She's always in the background & available if I focus for it. Centering takes just a moment of mentally stepping back from the immediate circumstances.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 pm

By Helen S-K on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 05:52 pm:

Thanks Bonnie-

I think my new mantra is "Keep it simple sweetie" I may as well use it as a mantra because I seem to need that kind of repetition to get it into my consciousness.

:) Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 pm

By Bonnie on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 08:56 pm:

EEeek! Helen I didn't see your Jan. 2 post until today. Sorry sorry sorry.

The KISS-principle was designed for folk like me - bone lazy. LOL

And about that closet cleaning ... I saw something in there move, I swear. Ok so it could - I say could - have been the cat since she oozes thru woodwork, but I'll take any reason to put it off a bit longer, y'know.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:28 pm

By bonnie on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 08:01 pm:

I've stumbled into a really simple technique that sets the mind in the right frame for meditating or trance work, and doesn't require deep states of unconsciousness or OOBs.

It's just doing observation and NOT letting your mind wander, but staying gently focused to look with the eyes only. Basically all I did was sit in front of my altar & light a candle. But I really paid attention.

I watched the match strike a spark and flame leap to life in the match, then observed the slow dance as the flame was transferred from the match to the candle wick. I noticed as much detail as I could of the wax imperfections, the subtle glow in the thinner areas, the liquefying melt, the 5-colors of the flame. Just kept looking & observing. After about 10 minutes I pinched out the wick & watched the death of the flame, the after-glow in the wick and the trail of smoke as it too died out.

After this observation I was absolutely in the proper relaxed state to journey without effort.

I think you could adapt this for any of the 4 quarters: fire obviously was of the south and the will. I've tried watching as I poured water from one small bowl to another, over & over watching & observing intensely. This helped me "go with the flow" in the trance that followed.
TheWiseHedgewitch

Next

Return to Old Forum