Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Herbal Remedies

Herbal Remedies

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:06 pm

By Moonwillow on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 12:37 pm:

Could anyone advise me how to make a calendula tincture, I do have a book on herbal remedies but don't really understand the ratios.

Any help is much appreciated.

Bright blessing.
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: Herbal Remedies

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:06 pm

By Imp-Lauren on Tuesday, August 13, 2002 - 06:02 pm:

Hello Moonwillow,

I know a little about herbalism, so I hope this info helps! Calendula is the name for pot marigolds, so to make an infusion put fresh marigold flower heads into boiling water and leave to cool, straining off the liquid for use. A tincture is a remedy made with alcohol and water, which extracts the herbal properties of the plant and preserves them. One way is to boil the fresh or dry plant, herb or flower head in wine. A standard ratio is 25g/1oz of dry herb or 50g/2oz fresh herb to 600ml/1pint of alcohol, adding tablespoons of water as needed. The strength of the alcohol depends on the herb, anything between 15% and 90% proof, and perhaps a spirit like brandy or vodka. A cold-steeped method is: Crush and bruise the fresh herbs and place into a glass jar. Mix the alcohol and water together and add to the herbs in the jar. Store in a cool dark place for 2 weeks, shaking and turning daily. Strain the herbs through a cloth and sieve. Place the tinctue liquid in amber glass bottles. Go to www.nealsyardremedies.com for ready-made tinctures and dried marigold heads. A good book to read is: 'Herbal Remedies' by Christopher Hedley and Non Shaw. Take a look at Bach flower remedies, they may do a calendula one?

Hope it helps! Imp
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:07 pm

By Andy on Wednesday, August 14, 2002 - 06:32 pm:

May i just add a bit to Imp-Laurens excellent advice. The Bach flower remedies only use 38 plants & I'm afraid calendula isn't one of them.
I have experimented using different alcohols in tinctures & vodka is by far the best of the easily available (no taste at all - if using internally that is!). A good site for herbal advice is http://www.botanical.com/
good luck with the brews!
Andy
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Moonwillow on Thursday, August 15, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

Thanks Imp-Lauren & Andy. I will have a look at the web sites you have suggested & will have a look at the books in my local book shops.

BB
Melanie
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Emma on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 11:10 pm:

Hi
If you were interested in a Calendula Flower
Essence FES in California make one. The
details are on their website at
www.fesflowers.com/index.htm.
Emma
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:08 pm

By bonnie on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 09:23 pm:

I've found chamomile to be a great and pain-free disinfectant for skin scrapes & cuts that you just cannot use alcohol-based products on.

3 tblsp. dry chamomile flowers to 1 cup hot water, strained and poured into a clean spray bottle. Just spray onto wound. I use paper coffee filters & just fold the herbs in the filter, hold it closed with a clothes pin, & then set the whole bundle into the hot water to steep until cool.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:08 pm

By Jayne on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

Okay, it's stupid question time!

Because of this lousy cold that I'm just beginning to get over, I've decided to put both healing oils and herbs into action. I'm using Cunningham as guidance for my own recipes but there are a few questions I have.

1) If I make up a small quantity of various healing oils to mainly smell or rub on my skin, will that oil have a lifespan? and what's the best way to clean out the bottles after use?

2) I'm also going to do the same thing with herbs, and again, reading Cunningham's book, I got some felt squares at the weekend to put them into. What's the best way to clean felt after use???

3) And lastly - is it always best to cast a circle and treat these as spells, or can I just make up the potions and ask for blessings?

Grateful for everyone's ideas!

BB
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:09 pm

By bonnie on Monday, October 6, 2003 - 06:58 pm:

Bottled oils will keep best with a dash of Benzoin (either the powdered variety or as a pre-made oil).I've got 5-year old bottles still smelling clean...but the expected lifespan is 1-3 years without a preservative. If you keep them cool and out of the light who knows?

Those tiny bottles are a pain to clean, but I just put 'em in hot water with a few drops of dish soap and use a soapy Qtip to swab with. Rinse about a million times & be sure they're absolutely dry before recapping.

Speaking of caps, those little cardboard rings that keep the lids fitting tight get wasted when washed.

I've never tried to clean felt, but why not? Um - maybe you could put a bunch of squares into the toe of an old nylon sock & toss it in the laundry. Tie off the end so you don't have to hunt thru the washer for all the squares that get loose.

To cast or not to cast ... I only cast when I'm empowering the individual charm/herb/oil before using it for a specific purpose, not when making up the batch. I don't try to cast if I'm sick bcs it takes the starch out of me! In that case, the blessing is enough. It's kind of a catch-22 when you're the user.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:09 pm

By Jayne on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

Am I okay to substitute herbs for oils? I've just made a couple of potions where I had to frantically search for oil substitutes, but I could have easily used herbs a couple of times. I have seen mixtures of the two, but don't know if it's ok for an everyday theme or if they were something special.

BB
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:10 pm

By bonnie on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 03:44 pm:

I think the answer to your questions is yes, but I'm wincing bcs brewing isn't an area I've really worked at yet & I hope there are others here that can give better tips. It seems to me that the herb's essential presence is consistent whether it's in solid or liquid form, though oils would be a concentrated form. With herbs you would want to strain the final product to keep the liquid clear. Herbs can be soaked in oil, water/vinegar, or water/alcohol.
TheWiseHedgewitch

Next

Return to Old Forum