Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 53 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:39 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Incense

Re: Incense

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 pm

By Helen (Helen) on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 04:26 pm:

Still searching for the right dog, "sausage" took quite a dislike to our existing dog, so that was a no-go.
BB
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 pm

By Helen (Helen) on Wednesday, August 1, 2007 - 03:26 pm:

Hi all, and the blessings of the day to you (you'll know which day it is whichever hemisphere you're in, right?)

Just bumping this thread back
a) because it's really interesting
b) to ask (Bonnie maybe?) if anyone knows or uses "bamboo charcoal?
c) anyone in the UK got a source for Makko, the stuff you can mix to make combustible incense? I can only find it on USA websites

And also to say I have had some success with incense on aluminium foil, above a tea-light candle. But you have to get the height right; too low and it will still burn quickly, and smell less pleasant. But at least I can use my home made incense without commercial charcoal blocks, which smoke and smell awful, or without it falling through the holes in the tea-strainer, which was what I tried first to get it over a flame! (STOP LAUGHING, IT SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA!)

So now I've got a pierced metal tea-light holder, 2 1/2 inches high, with double thickness foil on it, and it works fine (although it's not very "wave-aboutable" if you see what I mean :)

Blessings to all, old friends and new
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:26 pm

By Emily (Emily) on Thursday, August 2, 2007 - 08:04 am:

Thanks Helen, this is fascinating!
I've been reading through quite a lot of the historic posts on this site and there is //such// a lot of good information. I am so pleased I found it.
Emily
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Thursday, August 2, 2007 - 02:26 pm:

Aargh! I had a response to post and hit the wrong button and wiped it out. Gaaf! Try again ...

Helen I had the same experience with my tea strainer so we can laugh together.

As I'm in the US I get my Makko from MountainRoseHerbs.com and I've tried their incense making kit with good beginner results. Try a search on Japanese incense or rituals like the Kodo ritual, which is a really interesting form of active meditation.

Bamboo charcoals are used just like the familiar round ones, but are the size of your thumbnail and don't give off that black smoke. I bought a box of 24 for $12 so it works out to $.50 per coal. They can be loosely buried in fine sand or rice ash and then powdered incense is smoldered on top of the sand/ash. They last about an hour which I find is just right for solitary rites.
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Helen (Helen) on Friday, August 3, 2007 - 09:47 am:

Thanks for that Bonnie, I might give it a go.
I might also look up Koa ritual, about which I know nothing, but you've piqued my interest there, thank you.
Blessings to you
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:27 pm

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Saturday, August 4, 2007 - 01:36 am:

I obtain many incense supplies and oils and other wonderful things from Scents of the Earth.com. A wonderful, high quality company, based in California USA.They have even sent me free items to make Kyphi and gave me instruction on the phone. I am sure they have Makko and also I bought a Japanese incense stove from them. Pricey- but good.

I started out several years ago playing around with tin foil to warm my incense instead of burning it. The process is called smoldering. Be careful! I was doing a spell, and at the place where I say "By point of iron knife" I pointed with my athame and the myrrh on the tin foil BURST INTO FLAMES ! No kidding. Well...that certainly gave some umph to THAT spell! Will never do that again....Yikes!

I have developed my own little set-up using an empty coffee can, a tea lite or votive candle at the bottom, and a mesh strainer on top of the can.You can also use a cut piece of screening as well, or one of those Asian small colanders that open up. The air flow through the mesh reduces the heat and makes spontaneous combustion much less likely. Much safer than tin foil!!!
TheWiseHedgewitch

Previous

Return to Old Forum