Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Incense

Re: Incense

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:02 pm

By Oakleaf (Oakleaf) on Friday, October 6, 2006 - 11:48 pm:

Just a few of thoughts about the charcoal discs. I find that unless they are kept in a warm dry location they absorb moisture and don't burn properly. Also, I hold mine over a candle with a pair of tongs until it is well alight. Finally, I have a twist of wire on the base of my incense burner on which I put the burning disc so the air can get at the base.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:02 pm

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Monday, October 9, 2006 - 05:33 pm:

In my experiments to make loose incense that doesn't need a coal, I found if I make my blend of resins, herbs and barks 1st according to recipe, then use one part of this mix to 4 parts sawdust (pine or cedar from the petstore) or peat moss (from the garden store). If I pack it into a tight clump and light it, it burns pretty well.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:03 pm

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Monday, October 9, 2006 - 07:37 pm:

What bark works well? I've never thought of this- intriguing.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:04 pm

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 05:35 pm:

I'm using "barks" more as a reference to texture than to an actual tree bark, though birch bark works very nicely. Some recipes call for high-john root which is as tough as any bark. Pounding it with a hammer before trying to grind it helps! The buds of the poplar tree called balm of gilead are almost as tough as bark to grind down but they add a lusty balsam aroma that goes well with patchouli and the pine sawdust base.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:06 pm

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 06:01 pm:

Speaking of Patchouli....one of my doggies had a nasty bout this morning and i added 3 drops Patchouli and 3 drops Lemon essential oil to my hardwood floorcleaner spray. The mixture was wonderful! It cleaned up nicely, the wood looks good and the AURA of the room was instantly improved...not to mention the smell! Give it a whiff! (Or a woof, in this case).I've never tried Patch and Lemon together before- it was great.
Also- I have a Sycamore tree around the corner which regularly drops long curls of bark off of its trunk. I use it to wrap my written spells in but I do not think it would smell particularly nice. I agree that we should look for things that occur in OUR environment to use in workings. That is what our ancestor witches did. No one bought stuff from Oshkosh by gosh!
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:22 pm

By Oakleaf (Oakleaf) on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 08:19 am:

Writing on bark is a good idea. We have a silver birch nearby that regularly drops quite large curls of bark..........hmm.

I do agree about using what is to hand. I have a small collection of herbs and leaves that I keep dried and which were collected round where I live. I tend to pound them to a powder and then bind with essential oil.

I only make enough incense for the planned ritual and treat the making of the incense as part of the ritual preparation. I don't really follow published recipes but combine two or three herbs/leaves which are suitable. Starhawk's "The Spiral Dance" has some very good Tables of Correspondence which I often consult in the planning stage.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:22 pm

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 05:43 pm:

Yes- Oakleaf- i think what you describe is at the heart of a 'Hedgewitch". I usually go to the coast of Maine (the northernmost tip of the eastern USA) each fall to catch 'the fall colors' (the trees turn the most magnificent colors) and one year we were walking through a bit of forest around a lighthouse. I do aromatherapy on a big scale (I have about any oil you could think of) and all of a sudden i caught the whiff of something i 'knew'. It was so intimate- I just KNEW that smell...as if it were an old friend or something. You know how a perfume will remind you of someone you once knew/ Anyway- all around me were coniferous evergreens, and then I spied little berries...it was JUNIPER with JUNIPER BERRIES. I collected as many berries as I could, but of course left some for the Fae and the birds, etc. The aroma and freshness of the berries lasted for more than a year. It was such a blessing- it is one of my most fav oils- very fresh, protective and healing. i just wish it grew in my backyard, but growing in my country is good enough.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:23 pm

By Oakleaf (Oakleaf) on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 05:02 pm:

Yes, Juniper is great; I have some berries drying at the moment. They last for ages - a couple of weeks ago I ground some up for incense and they were still good despite the fact that they were last years.

I think Rae mentions Juniper in one of her books as her standard incense...not sure...but I think that I read that somewhere.

I use it for purifying a sacred space.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:23 pm

By Helen (Helen) on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 05:27 pm:

The thoughts about using local produce, including silver birch bark, set me thinking. And now I have the "doings" for an autumnal pot pourri drying in my room, and over the boiler.

I started with a 25g bag of cedarwood shavings, bought by mistake instead of sandalwood (anyone know a good sandalwood chips or shavings supplier in UK by the way?) To this will be added rose petals, poppy petals (a gift, supposed to be for dyeing) oak leaves, acorns cups, costus flowers (a bit like soft cones, again a gift for dyeing, but will absorb fragrance well), lemon verbena leaves from the garden, beautiful red leaves from my witchazel, pieces of barch fallen from the local birches, and the only actual fruiting product, rosehips. I don't like to use seeds really, seems like stealing from nature, but there's so many rosehips this year, and I only took a handful. They are what's drying slowly over the boiler. Everything else will airdry. Add to that some orris root ( dried and powered from a particular Iris - I'm growing it here but it's not old enough to harvest so this is shop bought - and essential oils to fragrance. Haven't decided on the fragrance mix yet, will see what the dry ingredients look like, and then have a dabble.

Will let you now how it turns out. Feel quite chuffed!

Oh, and on a completely different theme, we have been to the rescue centre, with a view to replacing one of our lovely dogs who had to be put down recently. Think we may have decided on an 8 year black Lab bitch, current name Sian, but may end up being called sausage, because she so resembles one at present. We're doing the "introducing to existing pet" tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed for us.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:24 pm

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 10:00 pm:

Oh Helen! ALL of that sounds so wonderful. Best wishes for you and the bow wow.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PreviousNext

Return to Old Forum