Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Incense

Re: Incense

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:24 am

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 03:58 am:

3. The Complete Incense Book
by Susanne Fischer-Rizzi (Paperback - June 30, 1998)
This is my favorite book on making incense as well as the history and lore of incense around the world, ancient and modern. It looks like a coffee-table book- very nice and glossy, high style, but the content if marvelous! My two witchy friends and i have used it to make Kyphi, which is an ancient Egyptian incense which is slowly warmed (smoldered), NOT burnt. It slowly releases its aroma and essence and is wonderful! I have altered the traditional recipe at times and the results have been dramatic: many friends want my stash and request me to make more. To smolder your incense you have less carbon, so less odor that is undesirable. Plus no chemical odor from the charcoal tablets which contain petro-chemicals and additives to create the 'burn'. To smolder you need a tea lite essential oil burner OR a small pot that you can put a votive candle in. Place a small wire mesh colander over the rim of the pot and place your incense in the mesh. The trick is to adjust the height of the candle and/or the height of the mesh so the incense SLOWLY warms, and does not burn. A warning ; do not leave unattended as once my myrrh self ignited! It was actually quite a dramatic event as I had written a quite lengthy spell. At the part where I say "By point of iron knife" I pointed to the alter with my athame (iron for Brighid) and the Myrrh exploded spontaneously into flame! Brighid sure caught my attention that day, i can tell you!/ FreyaWyche.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:25 am

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 06:59 pm:

Frayawyche - I've been at Amazon and Alibris looking for this book. It's only available 2nd hand & prices range from $14 (battered cover) to $99 (collector's condition). Obviously it's very popular.

Want to share your favorite Kyphi formula?

I'm experimenting with self-burning incense using finely powdered herbs, resins, red cedar for a self-burning base, and powdered Makko which is a Japanese wood-base that makes a glue-like paste when warm water is added. Gum Arabic (acaccia) can be used instead of Makko but it's sticky.

About 1/4 of it has to be wood powder to burn well, plus any herbs or resins you choose. Add water in small amounts to control texture and roll it into a big ball. It's the right consistency when it's like dough a bit on the dry side.

Roll the lump of dough out flat on waxed paper with a rolling pin just like cookie dough; 1/4" thick and relatively square. Then score the surface into 1" blocks with a knife. Then let it dry for 3 days, flipping it over every day. Having it on the wax paper makes it easy to move. When it's, dry you break the larger block into the small 1" squares & store in an air-tight container.

Resist the temptation to fast-dry in the oven. It will burn best if it drys slowly.

No coals are needed. You can make cones or sticks out of it too, but the blocks work pretty good.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:25 am

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 08:00 pm:

Bonnie- I would be glad to share 'our' coven incense/Kyphi recipe with you. The last time we made enough for 6 people and we are still using it! I keep it in the fridge! Lasts about 2-3 years. I have to dig out the recipe though- it is on a floppy disk somewhere. We had one person just writing down all the ingredients when we made it. (We added a bit to the traditional recipe. We also have 2 variations: traditional, using Sultana white grapes fermented in heavy red wine, and also currants made the same way. We all liked the currants better! i will send it out when I find it. We used a rolling pin to roll it, put it out on parchment paper on jelly roll pans and cookie sheets, turned it every day for 2 weeks until it was almost dry and then cut it into small squares. We do NOT burn it but smolder it. The best way is to get a tea-light in an empty coffee can. Put a concave piece of screening or mesh over the top and slowly WARM the Kyphi. It slowly warms , then exudes the aroma with very little smoke, lots of perfume and aroma and NO BITTERNESS. I am told by my friend at Scents of the Earth.com (he turned me on to the Sultana raisins and actually sent us some free the first time) that what this is is a jimmy-whacked Japanese incense stove. I bought one from them (pricey!!) but like the coffee can with mesh and tea-light better. Not as attractive but works good and you can always throw it out if it gets gunky.
Also the last time the batch was good we soaked some for a few months in carrier oil (in a dark cabinet) - made a wonderful essential oil blend. If you can imagine it, it smells like you just opened the tomb of an Egyptian Goddess from 6,000 years ago,the seal broken, her perfume wafting out of the ancient door and sneaking its way into your nostrils. It is mesmerizing and exotic, and a little unsettling. It evokes a Presence. This was the original intent of Kyphi- to call down the presence of the Gods at the end of the day. It was traditionally burnt at sundown. We were trying to make it just using oils but the incense soaked in plain jojoba or grapeseed/almond oil was better. If you are into this, the BEST incense book EVER is by Susan Fisher-Rizzi. It is a coffee table book but the content includes all the major ancient regions, why they made the incense they did ( the native flora) and wonderful pictures of what it should look like, AS WELL AS RECIPES! A tremendous book. (Amazon.com)
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:26 am

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 11:21 pm:

Thanks a bunch, Freyawyche, looking forward to it. I understand from friends who have been to Egypt more than once as tour guides that you can still smell Kyphi's lingering scent in the old temples.
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 06:38 pm:

Kyphi Recipes, Methods, and Lore

In the temple of Edfu in Egypt , the walls hold hieroglyphs of the recipes for the manufacture and proper usage of Kyphi..

Steep these ingredients in a copper bowl overnight :

Mastic
Amber
Sweet Flag (Calamus)
Aspalathos (?)
Camel Grass (?)
Mint
Cinnamon
Wine

Separately combine raisins soaked in oasis wine (?) which are then ground, mixed with the base detailed above, and leave for 5 days. Then gently boil off the excess liquid.

Mix Frankincense and honey, boil, add to base and leave overnight.

Add ground Myrrh to the mixture.

Roll out and leave until dry.

Kyphi is a sound/vibration centered incense.

THIS IS THE PRELIMINARY INFO- I AM STILL LOOKING FOR THE HANDWRITTEN RECIPE WE MADE. YOU DO NOT NEED A COPPER BOWL BUT DO NEED A FOOD PROCESSOR!
THE LIST OF INGREDIENTS IS LONG...THE BEST IS TO GATHER A BUNCH OF PEOPLE AHEAD OF TIME TO CHIP IN AS IT IS EXPENSIVE IF YOU MAKE IT RIGHT.Also assign one person to do the fermenting, chopping and stirring for a week or two ahead of time, then everyone joins in to make the final thing.(It is the perfect coven activity). I ORDER HERBS, POWDERS AND OILS FROM THE FOLLOWING;
MOUNTAIN ROSE HERBS.COM (CALAMUS, GALANGAL- NOT KYMPHERIA BUT OFFICIANALIS)
NATURE;S GIFT.COM STYRAX GRANULES OR GUM
(OILS- FRANKINCENSE FREREANA AND SACRA)
SCENTS OF THE EARTH (OILS AND GRANULES OF FRANK AND MYRRH AND BENZOIN) iF YOU CALL SCENTS OF THE EARTH THEY HAVE A LOT OF INFO PLUS THEY SELL IT (PRETTY GOOD TOO)
YOU ALSO NEED SENNA, CINNAMON, CARDAMOM (I GOT CARDA FROM AN INDIAN GROCER- GRANULES AND POWDER- FRESH AND CHEAP AND LG AMT!)
LABDANUM OIL OR GUM
ELEMI OIL OR GUM
BENZOIN
SULTANA (WHITE) RAISINS OR WE TRIED CURRANTS WHICH WERE BETTER- MACERATE IN WINE FOR A WEEK IN FRIDGE.
ALSO JUNIPER BERRIES: THESE ARE ROCK HARD SO SOAK IN WINE FOR A WEEK, THEN USE IN FOOD PROCESSOR, THEN ADD TO RAISINS AND WINE MIXTURE AND SOAK MORE. THIS HAS TO FERMENT, SO NOT TOO COLD NOT HOT OR IT WILL ROT. I TOOK IT OUT OF THE FRIDGE FOR AN HOUR A DAY,STIRRED AND PUT BACK IN.
OK..ENOUGH. I WILL LOOK FOR REAL COPY OF THIS.
DO NOT ODER GALANGAL KAEMPHERIA- IT IS 'FALSE' GALANGAL, SIMILAR BUT NOT THE ANCIENT RECIPE. OK?
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 06:52 pm:

Ok...here's goes.

Mixed together the following dried ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon of senna
1/2 teaspoon of henna leaf powder
1/2 teaspoon of orris root powder
1/2 teaspoon of spikenard powder
1.87 oz. cinnamon powder
1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
4 teaspoons of hulled cardamon
3 teaspoons of ground cardamon
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
5 tablespoons of myrrh (gum powder)
1/4 teaspoon of ground pine resin
1 tablespoon of ground mastic
1 teaspoon of storax pellets
4 tablespoons of calamus powder
3 teaspoons of orris root
8 leaves of dried, fresh peppermint
1/2 teaspoon of ground musk seed
1/2 teaspoon of elemi
2 tablespoon of benzoin
4 tablespoon of frankincense (aden)
1/2 teaspoon mako powder
1 tablespoon of opoponax

Fold in 1-1/2 cups each: raisins and currents soaked for one week in good red wine. Also add 4 large juniper berries (also soaked in red wine)
3 galangal root (grounded)

Mix the following oils / wet ingredients together:

1/3 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon of liquid styrax
3 drops of cassia bark
15 drops of frankincense (t)
3 drops of liquid mastic
6 drops of cedarwood (a)
8 drops of benzoin oil
6 drops of cedarwood oil
3 drops of calamus
6 drops of labdanum
6 drops of rose (m)
8 drops of galangal
2 drops of cinnamon leaf oil
10 drops of jasmine (g)

add three tablespoons of red wine

10 more drops of frankincense
10 more drops of jasmine
15 drops of cardamon oil
10 drops of myrrh

12 tablespoons of frankincense
..............................FreyaWyche
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:27 am

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 06:54 pm:

Kyphi

Dry Ingredients: grind as fine as you can!
senna powder
henna powder
ground orris root
spikenard powder
ground coriander
hulled cardamom
ground cardamom
ground cloves
myrrh powder
storax pellets
calamus powder
dried mint
ground musk seed
frankincense powder
mako powder
opoponax
ground galangal root
cinnamon powder

Gums and resins: Warm in a double boiler.
frankincense : use several types if possible
elemi
benzoin
myrrh
liquid styrax (storax)
labdanum
pine
mastic
honey
galbanum

Mix raisins, currants and juniper berries and soak in
red wine for one week. Pulverize in a food processor
until fine. The liquids will separate out: reserve wine mixture to use as
moistening agent if needed later.
After soaking and pulverizing the dry ingredients, and warming the resins
and gums, add these to the dry ingredients. Mix well, adding the wine
reserve liquid to make a paste. This will be a fairly moist paste or
dough, but not really wet or liquidy. Roll out with rolling pin.
Leave out for one week to dry. It will require turning daily.Cover with
wax paper when it starts to really dry, to slow the process a bit.
Final consistency will be a thick only slightly moist, sticky dough.
It will pliable and bendable, but should not crumble.
I like to keep it rolled out and then cut into pieces
but some people prefer to roll it into little balls.
Product should be refrigerated for long term storage. A final coating
of frankincense and cardamom powder gives a nice finish.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:27 am

By Viridis (Viridis) on Thursday, October 5, 2006 - 08:58 pm:

Oooooh! I love the smell of kyphi!
Just one question - does anyone have any tips for getting those wretched little charcoal discs alight?
I always end up with a screeching smoke alarm, the dog hiding under the bed and every window in the house wide open. I'm sure this isn't the 'desired' result...:-S
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:28 am

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Friday, October 6, 2006 - 05:24 am:

FORGET THE CHARCOAL!!!!! Get an empty coffee can, put a tea lite in the bottom, cut a piece of thin wire mesh (like in window screens) and push it so it is slightly concave, put the Kyphi on it and SLOWLY warm it (smoldering). Do not burn! The sugars in the base of the Kyphi burn easily (due to the raisins or fruit-whatever kind you use) and the result is bitter. If you smolder, the smoke is thin but wonderfully aromatic!!!!!!!!You may have to adjust the height of the candle- tea-lite or votive- or the depth of the mesh to get a slow warming/burn. I also use a small colander (for steaming veggies-the kind that has 'petals' and opens outward) and put wire mesh over that with the tea-lite inside. Works just as well. All my friends do this now. None of us use the charcoal- too many chemicals!!!!
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:28 am

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Friday, October 6, 2006 - 03:47 pm:

Freyawyche - thank you so much for this. It is the most detailed recipe I've seen.

Viridis - can you move the smoke alarm to a different spot or shut it off until you're done? Otherwise, maybe it would help to aim a fan to draw smoke away from the smoke detector for the time you're working.

A charcoal disc should light from a single match. The line of sparks move fairly quick across the surface, and you have to let it "cook" about 5 minutes before placing any incense on it. It helps if you have a burner that allows airflow from underneath the coal. Hard to light coals probably have absorbed moisture. They must be stored in an airtight jar or ziplock bag, not their foil wrapper. You might try to dry 'em out in the oven - put the oven on the lowest setting, let it warm up, THEN SHUT THE OVEN OFF before placing the coals inside. Leave 'em 'til the oven cools.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PreviousNext

Return to Old Forum