Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Colour Correspondences

Colour Correspondences

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:04 pm

By Agalasha (Agalasha) on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 04:39 am:

Well, here's a fun thing as summer comes blasting in here in the tropics. Hopefully a little different. And frankly, I'm tired of authentication messages!

OK. One of my students told me I was wearing the correct colour the other day .. it happened to be Tuesday and I was wearing a red shirt. She told me it was because MARTES is the day for "Mars" -- of course. Then I told them that Tuesday comes from "Tiw's Day," a corresponding Norse god. So for fun (even English language study gets stale at times) we went through all the days of the week, in Spanish and in English. As Mirna (my student) says, at least if you can't wear the colour on the outside, your "chones" (knickers) can be the right hue. So here it is:

Monday (Moon Day) / Lunes (Moon Day) = WHITE, PASTELS
Tuesday (Tiw's Day) / Martes (Mars) = RED
Wednesday (Odin's Day) / Miercoles (Mercury) = YELLOW, BROWN
Thursday (Thor's Day) / Jueves (Jupiter) = BLUE
Friday (Freya's Day) / Viernes (Venus) = GREEN, HOT PINK
Saturday (Saturn's Day) / Sabado (Saturn) = BLACK, BROWN
Sunday (Sun Day) / Domingo (Pluto) = ORANGE

Now, the only translation that doesn't fit is of course "Domingo" which really translates to "Lord's Day" but although it has been Christianized the Roman god/planet name has been maintained in the popular mythology.

I myself have never really been for wearing gauchies with the names of the week, however as Mirna pointed out, a little sympathetic magic never hurt anyone!

BB de Mexico y buena suerte a todos
)O( Agalasha
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: Colour Correspondences

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:04 pm

By Helen (Helen) on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 07:56 pm:

I can see I'm going to have to do some serious shopping to get all that right :)
Blessings
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 pm

By Kate P. (Kepod) on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 02:14 am:

Now I'm wondering if there's an analogous principle... If white makes a good all-purpose candle, what can we say for white undies?
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 pm

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Saturday, June 7, 2008 - 10:02 pm:

Hello all. Just a wee note: You may be surprised at the color correspondence noted for Pluto by Aqalasha. I think it is acceptable. The name Pluto (Greek is Ploutous) connotes abundance from the Earth, as in the mining of gems, minerals and ores from the soil. Many are gold, copper, etc and are close to orange. These elements provide energy in many forms and orange is appropos to this as well. I discovered all this when researching the name Pluto for my book PALE and BLACK,(About the love/romance between Hades or Pluto and Persephone- all in poetic form) which will be copyrighted and published whenever someone gives me a B12 shot and some caffeine. (Tired).
TheWiseHedgewitch

Return to Old Forum