Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

News: Re Bernie

Re: News: Re Bernie

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:37 am

By Helen (Helen) on Thursday, June 1, 2006 - 06:25 pm:

I have used a 'memory tree' before, although it was on someone else's property. That's a good idea Bonnie, I'll have to think of where.
BB
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:38 am

By Viridis (Viridis) on Friday, June 2, 2006 - 10:05 am:

For those who have emailed me with queries about messages of condolence and donations in lieu of flowers...

Right now, nothing definite is known, but I have Bernie's sisters address if anyone would like to send a message to her. With regard to donations, Bernie mentioned a cancer charity, but doesn't appear to have specified which one. His work colleagues are holding a collection and sending a cheque directly to his sister, for her to donate as she sees fit.

There are also plans to plant an oak in the woods where he walked with Oscar :-)

I've thanked his colleague for letting us know so much and asked him to raise a glass to Bernie on our behalf at the wake.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 am

By Viridis (Viridis) on Friday, June 2, 2006 - 12:25 pm:

And another update. Any donations in Bernie's name should go to Macmillan nurses or Marie Curie. I also have details of the site where the ashes will be laid, if anyone wants to attend the service and/or visit privately.

In addition, Oscar is still in need of a new home. He is being cared for but needs somewhere permanent. If anyone has any thoughts on this, perhaps you could let me know?
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:39 am

By Sarah (Sarah) on Wednesday, June 7, 2006 - 01:34 pm:

Be forever free in the summerlands Bernie! i shall take a walk to a beautiful oak tree on the 11th and join you all as we remember Bernie,i send love and light to Bernie's family and friends at this sad time.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:40 am

By Helen (Helen) on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 02:20 pm:

This passage is taken from "A Witches Bible" by Janet and Stewart Farrar, the ritual on Requiem. Some of us might want to use these words, some of us just be comforted by seeing the reality and belief expressed in words.

"We meet today in both sadness and joy. We are sad because a chapter has closed; yet we are joyful, because, by the closing, a new chapter may begin. We meet to mark the passing of our beloved sister/brother...[name]..., for whom this incarnation is ended. We meet to commend her/him to the care and blessing of the the God and the Goddess, that she/he may rest, free from illusion or regret, until the time shall come for her/his rebirth to this world. And knowing that this shall be so, we know, too, that the sadness is nothing and that joy is all."

If this does feel right to you, please take no offence; it was just something I wanted to share.

Blessed Be
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 am

By Hearthfire (Hearthfire) on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 09:40 am:

Bonnie, I hope you don't mind but I borrowed your idea for my small ritual for Bernie yesterday - I thought it very appropriate and beautiful. I could not find an oak nearby, but I was called to a hawthorn tree who offered it's leaves and blossoms for my streamer. When I had finished working and hung the streamer, a single black crow began calling and circled three times above me and the tree before flying off. I think the Wise Man and The Crone were listening J

I'm sure that Bernie is aware of our combined honouring, and it felt good to be adding something to a larger whole for a change. If no-one minds me asking; how was everyone else's experience's?

That passage is very meaningful Helen, thank you for sharing it.

Blessings,
Hearthfire x
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 am

By Helen (Helen) on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 11:50 am:

I went to 'my' tree, which happens to be an oak in a field outside my hamlet. I borrowed Bonnie's idea too, made mine with blue thread, and dried oak leaves from my bowl at home. I could see the full moon during all the time I was there, but then the clouds came afterwards, and storms this morning. Yes, it did feel like the right thing to do, and I was glad to be part of that linking thread on this occasion. (A better witch than me would have had a torch as well one little candle in a holder, a swiss army pen knife - for when the cord tangled itself up in my pocket, and a step ladder to make it easier to reach the lowest branch - this is a field where the tractors work, so all the lowest branches are gone. Ah well!)
Blessings to all
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:43 am

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 04:21 pm:

I think my remembrance had to have Bernie laughing hysterically. I have an outdoor altar in my garden, which is separated from the neighbor's yard only by a chain-link fence. I have a hagstone and a stang set up with room at the foot for placing offerings and the cup and bowl.

I no sooner sat down with my stuff then the neighbor let their dog out. Naturally the minute dog saw me he began barking in my face. We were nose to nose across the fence because I was sitting cross legged on the ground. OK I can ignore this, stay centered, let the dog get bored. But no - the lady of the house comes out to hush the dog & come over to see what I was doing. So we have a chat while she waits for the dog to finish his duty. Eventually they go back inside.

Wifey must have told hubby that the neighbor's doing something weird. Hubby came out to apologize for the dog (something he's never felt the need to do before) & to peer quizzically at my stuff: paper & red ribbon streamer attached to the stang, candle-lantern, sticks of incense, cauldron for burning prepared verses, large cup of wine and bowl of bread n salt. Thank goodness I'd not brought my athame, just in case of neighbors. Clearly he wasn't going away so I explained that I was doing a memorial for a friend who had died. Embarrassed but satisfied, he finally went away.

Naturally by now centering was history. My feet had fallen asleep from sitting cross legged for 1/2 an hour, & my 53 year-old back-side is regretting the hard ground. After stretching & walking around a bit, I started over and all was well thereafter.

I felt the union of this group & Bernie's child-like delight with our remembrance.
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Hearthfire (Hearthfire) on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:43 pm:

Bonnie, that's so funny, and so apt when you remember Bernie's four-legged one J
TheWiseHedgewitch

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 02:51 pm:

Hearthfire - my thoughts, 'zaktly. :)
TheWiseHedgewitch

PreviousNext

Return to Old Forum