Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Giving Back

Giving Back

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:08 am

By Bernie (Bernie) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:32 am:

Hi guys, I have an odd one and it is just some ideas I am after. we all acquire tools as such that we work and grow with but when its time to move on we can do our own rituals to give thanks and blessings to the lord and Lady for empowering our tools but I am stuck with how to physically put the tools to rest. Some sort of burial seems a way to me but I would like any ideas
BB
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: Giving Back

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:08 am

By River (River) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 07:25 am:

i've always made a quiet little ceremony just by myself of giving my children's teeth back to the elements. it kinda hurts in a way, not keeping them, but i really feel they belong under a bush in the garden. I guess for you it'd be like burying old friends- you could make it a goodbye ceremony, either alone or in company, and that should surely make it plain to the otherworld that these things are no longer charged. that's a big step along the path, that one.
Unless there's someone around who would treasure them just as mementos? If you somehow de-charged them first? there's a weird cow horn spoon which is passed from mother to eldest daughter in our family, and I'm sure it has some sort of occult origins from way back. it comes to me next, and I'm so honoured to look after it!
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:09 am

By Robin (Robin) on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 01:44 pm:

The best thing to do here, is to de-energise all of the tools in question. This can be done by casting the circle and asking the universal elements to take back their own individual energies. The energy that is left can be dispersed by asking the Lady and the Lord to do it.
Once the energies are gone, close the circle and then dig a hole in a place that shall not be disturbed. The hole should be fairly deep about 2-4 feet. The tools are then wrapped in white or yellow cloth and then buried in the hole. Once this is done, a rosemary bush should be planted in the space where the hole once was.
BB
Robin Darkmere
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:10 am

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 03:00 pm:

If the task of digging a deep hole is beyond your strength, you could also commit the ritually decommissioned tools to the elements. Anything wood like a wand or staff can be broken then burned, and the ashes scattered in the wind (fire & air). The cup could be hammer-whacked & flung into a deep lake or river (water). Breaking the tools renders the tool unusable in the material world thus sacrificing it so that it passes into the spirit world.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:10 am

By Helen (Helen) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 04:41 pm:

Hi Bernie, Bonnie's comments reminds me of those artifacts found in the river Thames and lots of other places, where it is thought they were given as offerings to the Gods of that person who put them there. Maybe there is something you might want to offer up in that way?
Blessings to you
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:11 am

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 06:20 pm:

Robin : I was interested in your answer- Why Rosemary? If the tools are organic ( wooden or cloth, etc) could they not be burned? Also, must they be destroyed? And what if you suddenly pass away or something, then what? I have given my non-practicing husband some directions as to how to dispose of all my things if I die, but I am now thinking maybe I should be more specific. I have two witch friends that are very close who also know of my wishes and they will 'inherit' most of my magickal items.(You start thinking this way when you pass a certain age and length of time in practice I think. I am getting old! ) I only regret I do not have daughters to pass these things along to.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:13 am

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 07:28 pm:

Freyawyche, since I suggested the destruction, I'll reply to that part and Robin can add on too with his comments being welcome :)

Anyhow, no of course they don't have to be physically destroyed, only magically decommissioned if they are not being passed on to someone. I mentioned the destruction as an alternative to the physical effort of digging a deep hole. That's hard work & may be beyond some folk's ability.

If you pass them to someone trustworthy who will value their magical charge, then pass 'em on. If you have no one to pass them to (& I'd fall into that category myself), then you should return them to mundanity as Robin pointed out. For one thing, it prevents their misuse, and it honors the spirits/elements who have worked with you by freeing them from any further association.

I have written instructions in my "when I die" packet of how to dispose of my things, but who knows if that will be honored? All of us single folk have to think of this eventuality. My sister has it in her pointy little head that it'd be sooo Koo-ool to bury my crystals with me, like the casket isn't heavy enough, you want to line it with rocks?

If I recall from things I've read, it was customary to destroy the witch's magical implements at their passing. Handing tools on to the next generation probably only happens in witch families.

As I mentioned, by rendering the tool unusable in the physical world, it is sacrificed. It is transformed into an offering. In that twilight world of shamanic belief, everything is alive and has an other-world form. If the implement is destroyed, it then passes into the other-realm to fulfill its destiny. I'd think this would be particularly true of our tools that we have given life to.

I'm curious too why Robin recommended Rosemary. Remembrance?

What happens if we don't decommission our tools? I can share a story:

During WWII my dad was stationed in Belgium &, like so many teenaged soldiers, he brought back souvenirs. Some were honestly purchased, some were taken from enemy soldiers (I'll spare you the grim details) and one in particular was taken from an invaded home or business.

Dad called it a "letter opener" from a doctor's house. If opening the mail was its use, I'll be surprised. It's inlaid in silver with magical symbols. I have to assume it belonged to a ritual magician, but I'll never know for sure, well doh. It sat in dad's desk drawer until the silver on it turned black. I have it protected but I'll never ritually use it.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:14 am

By River (River) on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 10:58 pm:

in Australia we make a huge deal about Anzac day (Australia and New Zealand Army Corps) on april 25th, where we remember people who've died serving their country. Rosemary and Cypress trees seem to feature strongly! With our seasons all reversed, it's always annoyed me how the general public still celebrate xmas & easter at the wrong times of the year, so I've been joining in enthusiastically with Anzac day at the end of autumn even tho I've nothing to do with armies really! I've turned it into a kind of ancestor celebration. What are cypress trees all about, anyone know? Planting a tree to mark your passing is a great idea!
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:14 am

By Freyawyche (Freyawyche) on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 12:10 am:

Cypress is the funereal tree of Hecate, Crone Goddess of the Crossroads. Many say She is Greek but if you do some serious study you will discover not only is She pre-Olympian, but really pre-Titan as well, and hails from Thrace, or Samo-Thrace, which is more towards Turkey. She is very ancient. Sometimes in Europe, in later histories She is portrayed as a triple Goddess with Selene and Diana, but originally She was on her own. She is distinctive in that more than one world renowned historian has made written record of her rites and attributes. (As well as Inanna and Diana. All these are VERY OLD).The Cypress trees would have been planted in cemeteries.
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:16 am

By Bernie (Bernie) on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 12:38 am:

Well guys, that's a lot to digest and thanks for the ideas. I think the destroy idea suits my situation the best and sooner than later as then my mind has time to calm and with what time is left a pointy finger will have to do. I also like the idea of planting a smallish tree and have an inkling of where to put it, shame about trees though my special Oak is quite deep in the woods and there is no way I can get there anymore plus most of my thinking and encounters came while meandering amongst trees, I am not very good sat in a room. But I am in no hurry to rush of so you will still get my half baked ramblings for a tad. If I can borrow a small space that will be looked on as Bernie's Bit, has anyone got an idea for a quite small tree in south facing position that doesn't need too much looking after.
BB
TheWiseHedgewitch

Next

Return to Old Forum