Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Giving Back

Re: Giving Back

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 am

By Helen (Helen) on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 08:43 am:

Hi Bernie, the tree idea sounds great. Off the top of my head here, and assuming you were thinking of native trees:- depending on whether this is within a garden, has to be ornamental or 'useful' or whatever. You could think about Rowan/Mountain Ash. Beautiful to look at, blossom, leaf colour, berries; may need pruning to keep it to a size that fits the space. Less obviously ornamental could be Hazel, can be copppiced for withies if anyone makes baskets, hurdles, whatever, and nuts for the squirrels. Or how about one of the apples on dwarf stock you can get now? Blossom in the Spring, fruit in the autumn. All trees from the Celtic Ogham, and lots of info on the web about them. You could see stuff about them at http://www.druidry.org/trees/trees.html
or something like the first part! Not very good with technology sorry :)

Oh, and Hazel catkins in the spring!
The other thing I thought of Bernie, if you would have liked Oak and didn't mind a non-native species...how about Cork Oak 'Quecus suber'?
It may need to be pruned eventually, grows to 65 foot when mature, but presume it's slow growing like most Oaks. It is native to Spain, Portugal and Algeria, so might tolerate dry and hot conditions on the south facing a bit better? It's evergreen, and has the thick cork bark for which it is harvested in its native countries. I don't know how easy it would be to get one here, but i expect an internet search might be a place to start? Can dig out tree addresses if that would help?

Blessings
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:18 am

By Robin (Robin) on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 09:34 am:

The reason Rosemary is planted over the site of buried disused tools, is for remembrance. It is fitting that the person be remembered and their life and works reflected upon.
How, when or where, we are called to the Summerlands, is entirely up to the Goddess, it is up to us to make every effort that when people cross over, they are not forgotten.
"Wither, they are vanished?. Into the air and what seemed corporal melted as breath into the wind"
Macbeth act 1 scene 3.

Bernie, as you can no longer make it to your special oak tree, have someone go it and bring a piece of it to you.
As long as they ask to take the piece and tell the tree who and what it is for, then there will be no problems.
BB
Robin
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:19 am

By Bernie (Bernie) on Saturday, May 6, 2006 - 04:30 pm:

Thanks Robin but my days of physical contact with the wood have past now I have to be content with the wood its whispers and windy rustles walking through my mind. Thanks again for the ideas the planting stays but the tree may not end a tree.
BB
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 am

By Bernie (Bernie) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 06:21 am:

Guys not being too macabre but I think I have got the funeral sorted. At a place called Ham Down Woodland Burial Ground, you buy your plot and it can be a full burial or ashes, I would like the burial and I have found an undertakers that do private ceremonies and also provide bio degradable coffins. You are allowed a small wooden plaque and they plant a tree on your space, naturally I am going for oak. Wait till the mourners get a look they will expect, out the car, give thanks, two meaningless songs, right bugger of & didn't aunty gene send nice flowers. Hope my choice suits
BB
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 am

By Helen (Helen) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 10:43 am:

Morning Bernie, sounds good, woodland and all. It's the sort of thing I'd like too. I understand you can get coffins made of basketwork, which I love the sound of, and I'd like to be wrapped in silk. That's foolish I know, but as a textile artist it's my favourite fabric, and it will go back into the ground won't it? Flowers INSIDE the basket as well, not left on the surface to spoil. And just one wonderful, loud piece of orchestral music to send me on my way to the door. That's how I see it, a doorway, like the portal that Aslan created in one of the Narnia books. On this side, our world that we've known, and on the other, Summerland.

You chat away Bernie; I for one thought that there were things we might all learn about the journey from your writings if you didn't mind sharing.(you said in another thread that you were writing about how things were for you now).
Blessings to you today
Helen
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:21 am

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 02:36 pm:

Hi Bernie - I love the idea of the bio-degradable coffin. That is so much a part of becoming the land itself as the ancients believed and practiced. And the oak tree is perfect.

Maybe you could suggest better songs :) "Lord of the Dance" crosses over party lines & most folk know the tune.

I danced in the morning when the world was begun
I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun ...
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:21 am

By Rachel (Rachel) on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 08:11 pm:

Hi Bernie,

The woodland setting sounds wonderful, as does the biodegradable coffin. I'm with Bonnie on Lord of the Dance - suits all types!

Blessed Be
Rach
TheWiseHedgewitch

Previous

Return to Old Forum