Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Meditation Beads

Meditation Beads

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:57 am

By Tawny (Tawny) on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 03:50 pm:

I have just bought a really pretty meditation bracelet, it has semi precious stones and silver amulets at the quarters, I have no idea how to use it, can anyone help please, thanks Love Tawny.
TheWiseHedgewitch

Re: Meditation Beads

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:58 am

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 05:54 pm:

Hi Tawny - Glad to help. Basically you recite or chant or a phrase for each bead & meditate at the same time, or in-between phrases, as able.

Once you learn the phrase, you chant it with rythm and a nasally, firm voice. It cleans the aura and balances the chakras if you get the beat and sound right. Or you can recite in silence with clear mental focus. The idea is to use the repeated phrase to keep the conscious mind occupied and thereby free the deeper mind for contemplation. After about a bizillion chants it kicks in & it does work. It is an extremely powerful form of prayer & can lead to stunning insights. As an offering of one's devotion or a petition, a set number of recitations can be offered as a pleasing sacrifice (like incense smoke) or glorification in praise of Deity, or plea for merciful intervention.

The mala bead bracelets are the short form of the usual 108 bead necklace length. The bracelets are popular for use when kneeling & bowing because they don't clank on the floor like the necklace length. Usually the bracelet bead count is 1/4th the full length so you'd go around 4 times to complete 108 recitations. 108 is symbolic of the cosmic nature, being 9x12, for 9 planets of our Solar System and 12 months of our Solar year. This in turn is a microcosm of the Uni-Cosmos - The Whole Big Picture in miniature.

In mala etiquette, when you get to the end of one round, you flip the mala & go in reverse for the next round rather than crossing the big bead at the end. This big bead is the "mother" bead or one which represents your guru or teacher & it is a courtesy to not "cross" them.

You're probably familiar with OM Mani Padme Hum (Behold the jewel in the lotus) as a chant. You'd say one full phrase for each bead. The phrase has layers of symbolism that english translation doesn't even hint at. The Dali Lam has some interesting stuff at his web site on this, too detailed to recap here.

While reciting your selected phrase per bead, you also hold a chosen image in mind, or reflect with the free part of your mind upon a theme.

With the Catholic Rosary the themes are the Mysteries of Jesus' life, suffering, death, resurrection, & miracles and a couple on Mary. The usual rosary has 5 decades or groups of 10 beads with larger beads between. The "Lord's Prayer" (Our Father Who art in Heaven, etc.) is recited at the big bead & 10 Hail Mary's followed by a "Glory Be (to the Father, Son & Holy Spirit etc.) for each decade. Some add special a remembrance of Mary as Mother of God at the end. The word "rosary" comes from Sanskrit (I think?) for "rose garden" as a place of reflection and contemplation. There are 4 sets or themes of 5 mysteries each that are used for reflection. To recite a full rosary is to run round the full necklace length of beads 4 times. It use to be 3 times but in 2000 Pope JPII added the "miracles" set.

The use of beads as prayer counters is very wide spread across many religions. Christians, Muslims Africans, Tibetans, Hindu and American Indian use 'em.

I've strung 13 rose quartz beads (for 13 full moons in a year) separated by teeny green aventurine. I call it my Feminist Moon Mala. 1 bead is extra large. I adapted the standard Hail Mary to "Hail Mare', Lady of grace. The Lord of the Dance is with you. Blessed are you, as are all Women, and blessed be the fruit of our Wombs. Holy Mare' Mother of the God, pray for your hidden children now & through the hour of our rebirth." Hidden children is a phrase for children of the Goddess, i.e., us.

Hmm - In comments above re: 12x9=108, I said 12 was for the months of the year; to be more precise the 12 is the zodiac. Never try to type when you're on the phone! Just FYI
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:58 am

By Lil (Lil) on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 09:05 am:

Bonnie, did you buy your meditation beads "ready holed" or did you make them yourself? You've inspired me to have a go!! :)
TheWiseHedgewitch

PostAuthor: TheWiseHedgewitch » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:59 am

By Bonnie (Bonnie) on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 03:52 pm:

I buy pre-drilled beads & string them myself. It costs a whole bunch less & they are customized. :) I use a grooved cutting board & lay out the beads in sequence in the groove so they don't roll around. A good dental floss works as well as the arts and crafts store waxed linen thread, and again, costs less. Embroidery floss tangles & drives me batty. What costs me about $8.00 to make I see on the internet selling for $35.00 (plus shipping).
TheWiseHedgewitch

Return to Old Forum