Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

The Story of the Sabbats by Patrick McCleary

Re: The Story of the Sabbats by Patrick McCleary

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Litha / Midsummer Solstice

The old man laid resting in his favorite chair, feet propped by the cold fireplace. His eyes closed and a half smile showing around his favorite pipe, which of course was lit. But then he felt something a small tug at his pant leg. He opened one eye and peered down at his youngest grandson, who was looking up at him with love and adoration. “Grandfather,” he whispered, “Can you tell us another story. We want to know what happened next to the Gods.”

At this the Grandfather opened both eyes and lifted his head and now saw all his grandchildren and some other children, that he didn’t know, all looking at him expectantly. “Sure,” the grandfather said as he took his pipe from his mouth and smiled wider. “Of course now comes next the time of marriage for the Gods. For wedding day was coming quick upon them.

“If you remember last time the Gods had come together in the first marriage but what you may not know is now the Holly King was here. A mite small, mind you, but he was there inside the Mother Goddess, continuing to grow.

“So the Gods and the faeries knew that marriage must be next. For that was the way of things. So the faeries pulled out the dress that they had wove at Imbolc. You remember? It was made of spider silk and the morning’s first dew. And presented it to the Goddess, with three more gifts.

“These gifts were given in private, so that not even the God knows what they were, even to this day. The first gift given was a gift of something new, given, so they said, that She may begin to get used to her new life.
“The second gift was something used. So that She may never forget who she was before that day and where she came from.

“Something blue was the third gift. To keep her safely through this new life and through the birth of her new child. And afterwards, well the blue would help her to keep her temper in check. For as we all know children can try the patience even of the most patient.

“So the day came for the Gods to become one in the eyes of all. All the faeries of the land came to honor them. The children came to scatter flowers an to vie for the right to carry the sacred rings.

“And the rings, set with diamonds that sparkled like the stars in the firmament. The most beautiful rings that any had seen. They stand for the Circle that the married couple enters into. Bound together for as long as love may last.

“The Ceremony was simple; The God spoke of his journey for his love and of the depth of his commitment. The Goddess, well, she also spoke of her commitment. But she spoke with sadness in her voice, as if she knew something that the others there knew not. But it passed quickly as she talked of her Love for the God.

“When they were married they went on a holiday together to celebrate their love and enjoy each other.

“So you see children, this is what you have to look forward to when you get older. But it won’t seem so bad, when you get to that age. But run along now and let me go back to my pipe. Come tomorrow and I will tell you the story of the First Harvest.”

The children sat for a moment still thinking about the story that they heard. They had images of flowers scattered around a hall of splendor and they had visions of shimmery dresses or rings of gold behind their eyes.
Then they all left their grandfather by the fire, the older ones to dream the younger ones to play at the games that all little children play.
Attachments
527641_450378778314994_1099047578_n.jpg
527641_450378778314994_1099047578_n.jpg (37.02 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Lughnasadh

“Grandfather, Grandfather, you promised to tell us the story of the First Harvest. Will you tell us now?” asked the little girl as she tugged on his pant leg. The Grandfather with his feet propped before the fire, opened one eye and looked down for a long moment at his granddaughter. Then he smiled and opened his other eye and looked around at the other children gathered around him. All sitting in a circle.

“Of course, I will tell you the story. But I must warn you that this story is not a completely happy one like the others. Are you sure you want me to start?” When he saw nods all around, he nodded himself and with a breath he began.

“Now if you remember in the last story the Gods had went on a holiday after they were married. Joined together in love they felt as if nothing could happen to them. Well at least the God did for the Goddess, Mother of us All, knew something that no one else knew.

“So in sadness she in came to her husband and told him her secret. ‘My Love I carry within me a child. The child will be your doom for he comes to rule over the autumn and the winter that is coming upon us. There is nothing that you can do. I just felt that I must warn you.

‘As the Grain rises so do you rise. And as the Grain is cut and falls so do you fall and go to Summerland. For such was the nature of the magick that we worked in the Spring.’

“The God then smiled and told his love that then they must enjoy the bounty that, while they could, had come to them so far. They would gather together and feast and play at games of skill.

So they gathered people for days walk in each direction. And called the faeries from their hidden homes. And the games were played in honor of Tailte the aspect of the Goddess that governed fertility. For that is what they were celebrating with these games.

“They played and challenged each other to increasingly more difficult tests of skill for two weeks. While the Perseid meteor showers played in the sky above them. But when the first of August came upon them the Goddess entered into birth.

“The birth was difficult, for you see the Holly King was coming and he was nearly completely formed and grown. But finally as the dusk fell the Holly King came forth armored and ready to rule his half of the year. For He had been told this after his death at Yule, by the Goddess herself.

Unwilling to fight the Oak King smiled and bowed his head in defeat and laid down his sword and walked away into the dark.

“Then the Holly King turned to his mother and weeped for he saw that he had aged her. Her hair was now streaked with white and her beauty was now regal and more mature. He called for attendants to take care of Her and find a place for her to rest. And he went to what was now his throne and sat with his drinking horn and though about how to make amends for how much hurt he had already brought to the Earth.

“So you see children this why we have the Tailtean games at this Sabbat. Of course we only have one day, for who can last as long as the Gods and the faeries.

“Now, hey you there little one, don’t cry. Why? Well don’t you remember the story of Yule when the Oak King comes back to take his turn to banish the Holly King back into Summerland?

“See now that is better, no tears because with the God’s sacrifice we have grain to eat and all the bounty of the Earth.

“Now go play dear little children and let me rest from all this storytelling”

And as the children ran off to think and, some, to give thanks for what they had received, the Grandfather returned to his nap, with his feet propped up and his hands folded in his lap.
Attachments
cup_of_friendship.gif
cup_of_friendship.gif (39.47 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Mabon

Grandfather, is the next story of the Gods, the one for Mabon, is it sad?” asked the little girl as she looked up with tears in her eyes. “I don’t know if we can take another sad story”

The Grandfather paused for a moment and looked down at her upturned face and said, “The next two stories are sadder then the last. But they only make you sad because you have forgotten how it all ends and begins at Yule.”

“You mean the rebirth of the Sun King and the Goddess becoming young again?”

“Yes children that is exactly what I mean. For you see there must be sadness if there is to be happiness or we wouldn’t appreciate it. There must be winter for every summer so that everything can have a chance to rest.
“And that is what this Sabbat is about. It is the finishing of the work to prepare for the winter. The harvest of the fruit and vine and the storing of supplies and repairing of tools and such.

“But it is also the time that the Goddess leaves us on her annual journey to the Underworld in search of her lost love, the Sun King. For with his death, the magick that they had laid in the Spring had began to fade and Winter was coming fast. And this was a fitting time for her to leave because the fruit that is harvested is like her. They are the womb that holds the seed with a promise of new life. And she is the same.

“So She went to the shore and lit a bonfire of the sacred woods and began to chant and to dance. Longer and faster did She dance. Around and around she spun and finally Her spirit lifted from Her body and began its long journey down into the Underworld.

“I will not speak of all the scary things that she faced. From Giants and Ogres to Dragons and other Wyrms all seeked to block her way. But none were strong enough to block her path. For she came in love everlasting and of course, having been this way before, she knew the ways to avoid most dangers.

“But finally She came to a pool glowing with Golden Light and the scent of roses filled the air around Her. She had finally found her lost love. But he slept with the sleep of Death on the edge of the pool.

“With Her voice raised in song, she began to wash the body of the fallen Sun King. She sang of power and love. Of racing across the green grass in spring and the warmth of the Sun in late summer. The smell of all the flowers in bloom and the feel of swimming in cool water on a hot summer day. All the things that the Sun King could bring back to the Earth if he only lived.

“Finally after what seemed an eternity the Sun King awoke and looked at Her and smiled. ‘My Goddess,’ he said, ‘I have not the strength to return in this body. I will not survive the journey back into the land of the living. But I will dissolve my body and go into you as a spark of life that you can foster and grow until the time is right and ordained.’

And with a last breath He did just that. With a burst of light his body turned into energy and infused the Goddess, further aging her but giving her the strength to make the new Sun within her.

“And so with this She began her journey back to the land of living. Now see children there is always hope even in the darkest of times. The Sun has begun his journey back to join us in the land of the living. And the Goddess while apart from us is soon to return.”

With this the children smiled, for the story wasn’t as sad as they had expected it to be. And it let them know that all was going to be OK.
Attachments
MabonBlessings2.jpg
MabonBlessings2.jpg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 1743 times

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Samhain

The little children ran up to the old man in the chair and yelled in unison and great excitement, “Grandfather, Grandfather! Can you tell us another story?”

With a smile and twinkle in his eye, the old man asked, “What story do you want to hear? I have told you the stories about the first seven Sabbats, why don’t I tell you the last one? The one about Samhain.”

With eager nods the children yelled out, “Yes. Please.”

So the Grandfather settled himself comfortably into his chair and began to speak. “If you will think back and remember. The story for Mabon found the God dead and living away in Summerland. And found the Goddess returning pregnant, from a spirit quest, after she found the God and got his promise to return at Yule as her unborn child.

“But the Goddess aged from the elements, remember Winter is coming quick as we approach the end of October, was found dead in the wilderness. Or so the faeries that found her thought. They brought her to the Holly King, Lord of Winter.

“When he saw her body he turned in bitterness and fled to his drinking horn in his mighty hall. But the faeries prepared Her body and laid in rest. Then they gathered all they could from far and wide and held a wake in Her honor.

“And they were gathered and mourned Her and most of all the death of their hope for the future. For how could they carry on without a Goddess to watch over them? But then the crowd fell silent as the oldest and ugliest lady any had ever seen hobbled into the hall.

“They all, to the last person, shunned her for they were disgusted at her hideous looks. But the old lady hobbled up slowly and in great pain, to the very foot of the throne of the Holly King. And looked up at Him as he turned his head away.

“After a long moment the old lady spoke, ‘Do you not recognize me, my Son? I am your mother that you had given up hope on. Near death I was but I have returned with a promise of new life and light. That will come from my womb at the end of hope. When light is at its shortest. And on that day you shall pay for your arrogance.’

“The Holly King was struck to his heart with fright at these words and he ordered her to be locked away in the tallest tower. So that he may have hope of avoiding this doom that was laid upon him by his ancient Mother.

“But as we know, since the Sun is reborn every Yule, this did little to help the Holly King avoid the punishment for his arrogance. We also should know that it is on Samhain night, since the Goddess came back to us from death, that the veil is thin and torn in some places and that we may see other friends and family that have passed on. This is why we carve a pumpkin so that those familiar spirits can find their way to our homes. And when they are there we lay out the Mute Supper for them to gather strength for their journey back to Summerland.

“What was that little one, why do we dress up? Well we dress up so that those ghosts that are not our family do not take us back with them. They can’t find out who we are, if we are covered up.

“Now run along children, have your parents help you carve the Jack O’ Lantern and make your costumes. And let this old man rest from all this storytelling.”
Attachments
HappySamhain.jpg
HappySamhain.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 1743 times

)O(
Tylluan

Previous

Return to Sabbats & Pagan Days