Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

The Story of the Sabbats by Patrick McCleary

The Story of the Sabbats by Patrick McCleary

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:17 am

YULE

The old man sat up straighter in the chair, took a puff from his pipe and asked with a grin, “What story should I tell? What story do you want to know? You there,” he said pointing to one of the children, the smallest, “you haven't had a turn to ask for a story in quite a while. So you pick, tell me what you want to hear.”

In a small voice, the child said “Grandfather can you tell me of the story of the first Yule? I always liked that one the best.”

With a clearing of his throat and another puff on his pipe, the Grandfather started to spin the tale of the first Yule.

“We all know that Yule is at the end of December. When the night and the day are equal to each other. But the story really starts much earlier. In fact over a month earlier. For you remember that in August the Harvest Lord laid down his sword of power and went away to Summerland to rest. Well the Goddess missed her husband so much that she began to grow old just with the grief alone and that is why we have Winter. The time when the Earth grows barren and cold.

“Well the Goddess because of her sadness after a time, left us also and went on a journey to Summerland to try and find him. Now she doesn't die now, she only goes on a vision quest. But she is gone so long that at Samhain her body passes on and when she is found frozen in the forest two weeks later a wake is held for her in the Holly King's drinking hall.

“It took over a week for all the faeries and other mourners to come.For they came from all corners of Creation. But there was one unexpected guest, an old woman. She was so old that she almost looked like a walking skeleton. So of course everyone there was mean to her out of fright and disgust.

“Yet when she greeted the Holly King, calling him her Son, everyone realized with much fright that this was the Goddess returned to them. The very Goddess whose death, they were there to mourn.

“So angry was she, that she was treated so poorly, the Goddess passed a prophecy to the Holly King. That she had within her the Oak King, soon to be reborn. And for rebuking her the Holly King would pass to Summerland upon the birth of that child.

“Now this scared the Holly King that he decided to lock the old Crone away in the top room of the tallest tower in all the world. Then he walled up the doors and all but one of the windows so that she is trapped within the room at the top of this tower. The window he left open so that he could have the birds fly food to her.

“Now he did this hoping that he could escape the doom that was foretold to him. But the Crone knew that the birth of her child was her only hope of escape. The Crone then wove magick and took the light and warmth from the Sun, and passed it to her son. So that in just four weeks, she gave birth to the Oak King. Who ever after was also given the name of the Sun King. For he was born fully grown and glowing with a golden light so bright that it caused the dying of the Sun to be reversed.

“Those four weeks of magick are why we light the candles for the four weeks before Yule. One candle for the first week and two for the second and so on until we have four candles lit on the night of Yule. This represents the growing light inside her as outside the Sun grew weaker.

“But the birth was hard on the old Crone, so hard that she slipped into a sleep very near to Death. So the Sun King in his anger thinking that his mother was dead, flew out the lone window as a large golden eagle. All across the Earth he hunted the Holly King, Lord of the Wintertime. Finally cornering him at the shores of a great ocean.

“And when he found him he threw his magickal spear at him and destroyed him. The spear hit the Holly King so hard that his body just vanished. But don't worry, for the Holly King simply reappeared in Summerland. When he got there he found the Crone in one of her other aspects, the Young Maiden.

“She spoke to him of prophecy and the Wheel of the Year. She spoke of the new cycle that had been made in the last year. That the events of the last year would repeat themselves forever and ever.

“And although the Holly King had passed away now, he now knew that he would return just past the height of Summer to take the Sun King's place again.

This is why the Holly King, as Santa Claus, brings us gifts every year to make up for the Winter that he brings with him. But he only brings presents to good little boys and girls because he wants us to learn to not be mean like he was to the Crone on that first night that he met her so long ago.

“Now back to the Sun King, when he returned to the Crone he saw that she wasn't really dead but only asleep. So he went out and found a large log, the first Yule Log, cut from the largest Oak he could find. In hopes that this would revive the Goddess. And for their lifegiving properties he decorated her room with evergreens. Even bringing in a tree and decorating it with his light.

“But all this magick did was to make her youthful again, so that now she was a beautiful youthful Maiden. Yet she still slept a deep sleep almost near death.

“So you see my grandchildren there are good reasons why we do the things that we do at Yule. They served a purpose long ago and it is good to recognize and honor that. “

“But Grandfather,” spoke up the eldest, “What happened next? I know the Goddess didn't stay asleep forever. Please tell us more.”

Shaking his head, the old man said, “Lunch is overdue and I'm hungry so let us go to eat and then I will tell you all another tale. I will tell you of what happened next to the Goddess and to the Sun King. I will tell you the story of the first Imbolc.”
Attachments
Oak and Holly Kings.jpg
Oak and Holly Kings
Oak and Holly Kings.jpg (34.83 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

Re: The Story of the Sabbats by Patrick McCleary

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:26 am

Imbolc

"Grandfather? Grandfather, is it time for another story," asked the littlest child, barely refraining from jumping up and down in excitement.

The old man leaned back in his chair and smiled, as he lit his pipe. After taking several puffs, he said, "Yes. I think is about a time. So where was I? Ah, yeah the Sun King born and the Maiden sleeping.

"Well the Sun King returned to the side of his Mother and meditated for a long time seeking an answer but none came. So he went to the land of the Sidhe and sought for answers from the Wise Ones there.

"The Sidhe came and sealed the Maiden within a crystal casket to protect her from the world until they could come up with a solution. After a short while they recommended to the Sun King must travel the world and to the Faery Oracle and seek for answers.

"How you must remember that during this time the Sun King has not been warming the Earth like he should. And the long journey to the Oracle will do little to help the Earth. But still the newborn Sun must arm himself and travel through the worlds to the World Tree and climb it to find the magick needed to waked the snow white maiden.

"A Long, long time he spent climbing that tree, after he found it, and as his hope waned he came across a grove, lit from within of its own light. Knowing that this was the Blessed Vale he entered into it and weaved through its labyrinth, into the center. There he found a standing stone surrounded by grass.

"Above was the stars and in front of the standing stone, sat the Oracle. The Sun King crossed to Her and sat before her and began to tell his story and then asked for answers to his quest.

"Then the Oracle spoke, 'Many people come seeking fame and fortune, yet you come in love. Realizing that love, the greatest gift, is all you need in life. You seek help to fulfill the will of Nature herself so I tell you that love's true kiss will waked Her that sleeps.'

"Now as you can expect at this simple answer, the Sun King was angry and frustrated. Remember though he was only a few months old at this point. So he yelled, in anger, at the Oracle, 'Is that it? If that is the answer why did I have to take this long journey?'

"The Oracle not offended, just smiled and raised her hand for patience and said, 'Oftentimes the journey is more than the answers we seek at the end. So go now and waken the Maiden and in turn waken the Earth before it is too late.'

"And with that the Sun King found himself, surprised of course, again at the top room in that tallest tower where, in her crystal casket, the Maiden slept. The Sidhe, after they got over their shock of course, gathered around the Sun King in breathless awe, as the God lifted the lid of the casket and set it to the side.

"Then with great happiness they watched Him kiss the sleeping Maiden and let out a cry of joy when her eyes fluttered open and she took a deep breath.

"As the Maiden rose from her bower she began to speak about her journeys and of her conversations with the Holly King. She told of the new cycle that had began and been laid out. She told him of the upcoming and past events in the Wheel of the Year.

"In celebration the Faeries spun a beautiful dress of spidersilk and the morning's first dew. Because the Faeries knew that this momentous kiss was akin to a betrothal and that the Goddess and God would be married soon. Plus the Goddess said as much herself.

"This is why children we make the corn dolly at this time of the year. To represent the Maiden and the future bride. And when we dress her in white it is a representation of the dress that the Faeries made for her.

"And our holiday of Imbolc is the day that the God returned from his long quest and the day the Maiden awoke. So this is why we give praise on this day and why we have our feast. Like at Samhain, when we say farewell to the Goddess, so do we at this holiday say greetings to Her.

"So that is the story of the Season of Imbolc. Go now children and let your grandfather rest."

Then almost as one the children ran off to play as, either the sleeping Maiden, or the Sun King on his long quest, letting their grandfather drift off into sleep.
Attachments
imbolc.jpg
Imbolc
imbolc.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Hazel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:36 am

Oh Tylluan this is wonderfull
were did you find it, my grand daughter has been asking aboud about the celebrations and i never thought of telling it in story form that she would understand, makes me think what sort of grandmother am I.
thank you.
B.B.
Hazel
Hazel

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Hazel - I am 100% positive you are a wonderful grandmother!!!

These are part of a story by Patrick McCleary (also known as Pagan Dad). You may have noticed some postings that I've already put up by him. I think his stuff is great!!! Here is a link to his website: http://www.pagandad.com/ He's doing things on the elements and children at the moment. I recommend a look to his site and I know you'll stay and look at his other posts!!!

As the story comes through, I'll post the next parts here for you :)

For children, you could also try: http://www.proudtobepagan.com/kidshome.htm
They have some great stuff too. Hope this helps :)

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Hazel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:44 am

Hi Tylluan
Thank you for that, I have seen his site before but have not read these, I've just looked at it now. I had hoped that he had written a book of them it would have been nicer but I've decided that perhaps the best way to make it more interesting to her is to make it up for her in book form with pictures (she loves reading her own books) she's an avid reader.
Hopefully it will come out nice.
Some times it is great to have a computor if it runs well,

B.B.
Hazel
Hazel

PostAuthor: Wildwood » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:03 pm

As an "old git" I wish I could tell stories like Patrick McCleary does. Storytelling is an art and a pleasure both in the telling and in the listening.

My wife is tremendous as the written word, usually in the form of letters to a particular "target". Great fun.

My storytelling has recently moved from fibs to my wife to great adventures recounted to my grand daughters! Usually a bit like the Arabian Nights, lead them along to a cliffhanger - then -"Off to bed girls, time to sleep". My wife and daughter in law, for some unknown reason, berate me for getting them all excited at this time of night!
I think I will try to develop a few story lines that will incorporate aspects of the craft, I'll have to careful - ease things in, in not too an obvious fashion. Blend in story lines that emphasise that witches, faerie folk, and the spiritual world are not all dark but have a positive side.
I think that you will possibly agree that this sort of "explanation" probably comes better from a female aspect rather than a male. Would appreciate your thoughts.

B.B.

Wildwood
Wildwood
Site Admin

PostAuthor: Hazel » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Wildwood
I've re-read your post and done some thinking on what you have said.
first being that Grandfathers are extra special to little girls of all ages. I know mine was exceptional and he was a great story tellar, I was about twenty five when I found out that nearly all of the information he inparted was not truthful. (but was he?)
He was completly self supported having his own mini farm cows x2, sheep x8, pigs x4. chicken many, then there was Nancy and Billy, Goats of course: Lass was his work mate a rough collie ( a very big complainer with the heavy work load she had) and cultivated land, money was only used for feeds for his animals.(wonderful life, how I envy it now) he always told me bed time stories about what the animals had either moaned about or what they had done with their day. apparently they could converse extreamly well. I found these stories riviting and was jealous because when I went to talk to them all I received was a grunt Moo or bleet and the worse was the cackling of the hens.
I'm waffling now but my point is I honestly think that now he was telling the truth, he could talk to the animals.
I seem to have inherited his ability. I have cats dogs and even foxes coming to ask me to help them when they feel ill.
there are no words but they seem to put a picture in my head. I found out only recently that My Grandparents followed the "Pagan craft" (yes my Aunt reluctantly agreed recently that they were indeed witches, but not to tell my father).
My parents were to ultra religious so it was a case of softly softly in his approach,
now I have chosen my path, his teachings albeit stories as a child have proved to be a great knowlledge and advantage to me.
The Girls are Kelvin's while our Grandsons enjoy my stories, So go ahead, you in my opinion are the only one to do the deed, and by the way Fairies are the in thing for 3- 13 year olds at the moment. Fairies are so cool.
Weave those tales. Besides being a woman there is an element of jelousy that grandad can get the laughs while Nans have to play the strict one, But even though we moan we do love to hear ther laughter even late at night.
B.B.
Hazel
Hazel

PostAuthor: Skywalker (Deceased) » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 am

Believe me, I am no story teller. But my daughter loved the bedtime stories I made up. "Mary Pixie, Magic Person" and "Wally, the Sea Sick Sea Serpent" were favorites.

Take the plunge and make up your stories. The kids will love them because they come from you and because you took the time with them!

:c )

Brightest Blessings,

Jim
Skywalker (Deceased)

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Tue May 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Ostara

The old story teller paused for a moment to collect his thoughts and puff on his pipe. He looked around at the audience before him, all his grandchildren and he smiled. Then he said, “Now the kiss has wakened the sleeping maiden, but the Earth has been sleeping with her too long. So together the God, King of Sun and Oak and his consort the Maiden of Spring prepare to work the magick required to bring about the springtime and the growth of the plants and animals.

“After deep thought the Goddess and God gathered together the Faeries of the land and made plans to gather together all the eggs in the land. Then, the plan was, they would boil and color the eggs to draw upon the magick of the eggs. Which they would then spread among the lands, bringing new life and springtime.

“But as they gathered the eggs and colored them, they didn’t realize, until to late, that the Trickster was stealing the eggs a little at a time. So before they knew it that sly fox, the cunning coyote had stolen all the eggs and hidden them all over the land.

“As often happens though, the plans of the Trickster wind up tricking and fooling him in the end. For as he scattered the eggs so did he scatter the magick all over the land. Now as you can guess this made the magick work better than the original plan. For the magick was scattered pure all over the land.

“So you see children this is why we hide the eggs after we color them to take the role of the Trickster. We help the Gods spread and work the magick of Springtime.”

“But, grandfather,” asked one of the the children at his feet. “Did they ever find the eggs?”

Laughing the grandfather nodded and answered, “Why yes they did. Then they had a great feast. But the strange thing was that the only people in all the land that could find the eggs were the little children and the Faeries themselves. So that is why you children look for the eggs.”

“But grandfather,” asked one of the children, “what happened next?”

“Well now the eggs, once lost and now found, were cleaned and polished to a high gleam. Almost like gems they looked their, laid out at the feet of the Sun King and the Goddess. Then all kinds of creatures from all across the land, from the birds that fly high into the sky to the moles that burrow within the earth, joined hands and began to dance a circle dance around the Goddess and God and the newly shined eggs. Faster and faster they spun, raising the energy of love and light and of new hope. Around and around the animals spun crying out in their voices both small and large songs of joy until at last, when they could no longer keep dancing, they fell down laughing and magickally around them the Earth turned green and fertile. The last of the snows that were upon the ground melted and finally Spring was here. And for a moment peace rested upon the Earth, the lamb laid down with the lion and was safe. And the children marveled to see all of this. Knowing that they had seen the sacredness in nature.

“Seeing them, the Sun King gathered the little children to him and blessed them and told them about the magick that they had just witnessed. That this magick must be done each year by not only the animals of the Earth but by the people of the Earth also. And if the children will look closely when they dance they may just see Faeries darting between them in joy.

Then the Goddess spoke and said that if the children worked this magick, then they would receive the gifts of the season on the morning of Ostara.

“Now you see children this is why when you wake on Ostara morning that you will oftentimes find a basket with gifts of candies and the such that represent Springtime. You see the chocolate bunny represents new life and young children, the hope that the Earth will continue on. The hot cross bun represents the balance of the Seasons, for you see Spring is a midpoint between the cold of Winter and the heat of Summer. And if you get any eggs then they represent the promise of new life that comes with each new Spring.

“So be thankful on Ostara morning and dance for joy. Dance the circle round and hunt for eggs and know that if you look closely then you too may see Faeries dancing around you. Go now little children play and let me rest. I will tell you another story tomorrow.”

And with this the little children went off in search of faeries in the woods around their home.
Attachments
Hares.jpg
Hares.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 3552 times

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Tue May 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Beltane

The children came to their grandfather, crying out for another story. “Tell us grandfather about the Gods and what comes next in their story.”

Smiling the grandfather said, “Well children, if you remember the Gods and the animals had just worked the magick to bring back Spring. And so they spent the next few months enjoying Spring and falling in love.

“So the faeries smiled knowingly and began to make a gift for the Gods. For they knew soon that the Gods would come together in love and be one. So they wove and wove until on the Eve of May their weaving was done. And there where the Faeries had worked so hard was a bower of flowers for the Gods. A bed made of flowers, sweet smelling and pretty to behold.

“Yet still the Gods tarried in the garden of the world. So the faeries called the children and taught them the dance of the Maypole. To bring fertility to the Earth and to urge the Gods to do their part in furthering the cycle. They went across the land gathering brightly colored ribbons and brought them to the pole that the faeries had erected in the forest glen.

“And as the children danced on that May morning, weaving around and around the pole they raised their voices in song. And finally the Goddess came to the God and they became one in that Divine Marriage, the Hieros Gamos.

“So, in celebration, the faeries lit a sacred fire from eight woods. Birch to represent the Maiden, white and pure. Oak to represent the Horned God, strong and mighty.

“Then rowan for life and willow for death. For all life must end to come again. Hawthorn to purify the union. Hazel for a wise child to be made. Apple to aid in fertility and grape for joy. Fir that the union lasts evermore. And when the fire was kindled and grew up to kiss the sky, couples and those looking for another gathered. With great joy these couples jumped the fire to share in its gifts. Wishes they asked for and such was the magick that all the wishes asked were granted.

“When the Gods left their bower of flowers that the faeries had led them to, they smiled and caused the Earth to grow even more bountiful. And because the faeries served so faithfully they were gifted with the first of the bounty of milk and honey.
“So my children that is why we weave and dance the Maypole and light the sacred fires. For it is on this day that the Holly King begins his life. And the magicks we weave help to bring him here safely, so that the cycle may continue forward.
“Now listen children to the hidden meaning and lesson to be found here in these few words. For you to be complete and to grow, you must also blend the two halves. The Goddess and God within.

“Know that great things will come from it. And be strong.

“Now run along children and play let me rest. I will tell you the next part of the Story of the Gods another time”

And the children went to gather ribbons for their own version of the maypole. For they all wanted to do their part.
Attachments
beltane[1].jpg
beltane[1].jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 3552 times

)O(
Tylluan

Next

Return to Sabbats & Pagan Days