Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Acupuncture

If you need healing or have information which could help with healing, post here.

Acupuncture

PostAuthor: Hazel » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Acupuncture
Acupuncture is a form of ancient Chinese medicine in which fine needles are inserted into the skin at certain points or combinations of points on the body.
It is a complementary or alternative medicine (CAM). This means that acupuncture is different in important ways from treatments that are part of conventional western medicine. Unlike conventional treatments, the use of acupuncture is not always based on scientific evidence.
Theory
Acupuncture is based on the belief that an energy, or 'life force', flows through the body in channels called meridians. This life force is known as Qi (pronounced 'chee'). Practitioners who adhere to traditional beliefs about acupuncture believe that when Qi cannot flow freely through the body, this can cause illness. They also believe that acupuncture can restore the flow of Qi, and so restore health.
Uses
Practitioners – called acupuncturists – use acupuncture to treat a wide range of health conditions. It is often used to treat pain conditions such as headache, lower back pain and dental pain, but is also commonly used against conditions ranging from infertility to anxiety and asthma.
The availability of acupuncture on the NHS is limited. Most acupuncture patients pay for private treatment.
Does it work?
There is some evidence that acupuncture works for a small number of conditions, including migraine and post-operative nausea. However, there is little or no scientific evidence that acupuncture works for many of the conditions for which it is often used. More scientific research is needed to establish whether acupuncture is effective against these and other conditions.
There is no scientific evidence for the existence of Qi or meridians. Some scientists and acupuncturists believe that acupuncture may stimulate nerves and muscle tissue, and that this may be responsible for the beneficial effects that have been observed in some scientific trials. More research is needed before acupuncture’s method of action is fully understood.
When I had my back injury I had acupuncture for me it was an uncomfortable exercise as I had to lay on my stomach and was unable to turn over on my own to get up afterwards whether this had anything to do with the fact that I tended to be in more pain after a session I don’t know or that they didn’t really know what they were dealing with as I had an x-ray three months later, but it was one treatment that didn’t work in my case.
Attachments
Spinal Acupuncture.jpg
Spinal Acupuncture.jpg (3.48 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
facial acupuncture.jpg
facial acupuncture.jpg (4.23 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
Hazel

Re: Acupuncture

PostAuthor: kelticwytch » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:07 am

When I was 21 my jaw locked up and I had intense pain in it and my ear for many months.

All my GP's just kept filling me with painkillers and ani-biotics, because I was having ear pain as well they were convinced I was getting multiple ear infections.

One GP though did a thorough examination of my jaw and a very intensive questioning then diagnosed my with a TMJ Disorder.

He said he could treat me with a gum shield and continue painkillers. Do an operation which he didn't want to do because it wasn't always effective and could cause more problems, or he could do Acupuncture.

I opted for the acupuncture, and boy did I regret it that evening he did it. I am what he called a "strong reacter", I was physically sick and literally lost all colour to my face even my lips. And I kept going dizzy. After an early night and a good sleep I was fine, but my mum was ready to take me to hospital. Next session he said he wouldn't take the needles as deep or for as long. this time no reaction and the whole problem cleared up in a week and I have not had a problem since other than the ocassional click, until recently. that's 14 years!

Just my personal experience.

kelticwytch

PostAuthor: Skywalker (Deceased) » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:47 am

I don't know about acupuncture. I have a friend who swears by it, but only with one practitioner. Another practitioner, she says, did her no good at all. She hasn't tried it since.

But many people accept Qi as a kind of unseen energy that moves through everything and can be manipulated and directed by a skilled user.

I tried that once or twice, years ago, definitely unskilled, and, as any magic user on this board can tell you, it can backfire. I stopped trying to use it and went back to "standard" Zen practice.

BB

Jim
Skywalker (Deceased)

PostAuthor: Wildwood » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:25 pm

I have a good friend who is a vet. He came to visit one day and I apologised I couldn't get up to greet him because I had "done my back in" and was pretty helpless. He said that he used acupuncture on various animals, and he could try it on me! Well I felt that it couldn't get worse than it was - so he got his needles out, "played about" a bit with them. Left the needles in for a short while, whilst we chatted. Then told me to get up and walk about.. The cynic in me would like to say that I remained helpless, but when I stood up and moved he demanded that I get a couple of glasses of my usual amber medicine.

Acupuncture certainly works. He said that he was very successful with animals who obviously are too good at specifically communicating what they are suffering from.

My son, a medic and someone who is hard to convince, thinks that acupuncture is one form of "alternative" medicine that actully works - but not sure why! Needless to say most other "alternative" medical techniques are regarded by him as quackery. I do not hold to that belief for everything.

B.B.

Wildwood
Wildwood
Site Admin

Return to Healing