Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

Making a wand

The wand is said to represent the life force of the witch. For any information or questions regarding wands.

Making a wand

PostAuthor: arablue » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 am

Well, I've started making my wand now. I didn't want to buy one as I felt it would be more a part of me if I made my own. I also felt it would be achievable. :)

I found lots of information about trees here (thanks everyone ;) ) made a list of the ones which interested me, shortlisted it by ones which would work with my aims, healing, protection, nurturing then meditated on it for a few days.

Willow was the one which called to me the strongest and I wondered where I would find some willow which I didn't have to cut, or whether another tree would make a gift to me in the meantime...

In my workplace we have a few willow sculptures for the children and they had been recently pruned so when I noticed the extra pieces which had been pruned were put away in a safe place by the pond I asked for one. I brought home my length of willow and cut it into 3 pieces. One for my wand which I put into salt water, and the other two I put in a bucket of water to see if they would grow.

When I had dried my wand I found the bark peeled off easily and showed me the most beautiful white wood underneath. Yesterday I shaped and sanded my wand and I am delighted with the way it is progressing. It is very tactile and after another light sanding the preparation will be complete.

Has anyone else made themselves a wand? Did you mark/decorate it in any way? I plan to mark mine with one of my favourite Celtic symbols, then beeswax to protect it.

The other good news is that instead of lying neglected, the two extra pieces of willow are growing sprouting leaves and roots too!
Bright Blessings,
Arablue.
arablue

Re: Making a wand

PostAuthor: Southernwood » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi Arablue,

Good for you, I've not had another go since my last attempt, I still have the wand, minus the tip! I'll get out over the long weekend and see which trees talk to me.

Pyrographic tools are good for decorating wood, I don't have one yet but I've been looking at them online and they are reasonably priced. I'm not much of an artist but my 13 year old son is so I've asked him if he would draw/burn it on using the tool once I've made my next wand, I like the idea of having that connection to him too. I'm thinking of having a hare (purely because I saw one on-line and fell in love with it) but that will depend on what I feel about the wand once it's made.

Maybe you could put a photo on once you've finished, if you feel ok about that.

Southernwood

PostAuthor: arablue » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:11 am

Hi Southern,

It was you who inspired me to try, so thank you. I will look up pyrographic tools too, what a good idea. I was thinking of painting then beeswax over the top, as I decorated a wooden trinket box my husband made for me with a Celtic knot design. How lovely to have your son join in with the making of your wand, what a great idea.

I will keep you posted about progress with the wand, and will gladly post a photo when I've finished. :)
Bright Blessings,
Arablue.
arablue

PostAuthor: Hazel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi
I purchased my Pyrographic tool from Amazon it's an excellent starter tool. you can down load all types and size of templates from the internet and can also resize them using the computer and tracing paper, for staffs you can work holding them by hand but for a wand you will need to use some form of clamp or else you will burn your hands these burning tools throw out a lot of heat.
I also decorate the handle ends with crystal beads of specific colours
hope this helps
B.B.
Hazel
Hazel

PostAuthor: arablue » Mon May 02, 2011 11:49 am

Hi Hazel,

My wand is awaiting decoration. It is smoothly sanded now and resting in the airing cupboard. I've been trying out designs in my sketchbook and can't decide between ivy leaves or a Celtic knot pattern. :)

My husband used to recycle wood into shelves, tables etc, so I'll soon be raiding his tools to see if he has a clamp!

Many thanks,
Bright Blessings,
Arablue.
arablue

PostAuthor: arablue » Fri May 13, 2011 8:20 pm

A brief update....

My wand is coming along nicely. It now has a small Celtic knot design drawn on it by me, and has been protected with beeswax. I do intend to add more detail to it, but it is now residing next to my altar.
Bright Blessings,
Arablue.
arablue

Return to Wands