Navigator
Sub Menu
Online Users

In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests

Most users ever online was 52 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

13th

13th

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:13 am

In some places, New Year's observances such as wassailing (paying homage to apple trees) are still performed on this day. Day of the Norse ceremony of Midvintersblot, Midwinter's Offering, called Tiugunde Day in Old England and sacred to Tiu, the ancient Teutonic chief God, ruler of the year. This day falls twenty days after Yule.
Attachments
Tiu.jpg
Tiu
Tiu.jpg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

Re: 13th

PostAuthor: Skywalker (Deceased) » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:34 am

Reading through a second time, the reference to apple trees caught my eye.

Apples and apple trees are sacred in many cultures but This reference caught my eye: (http://www.wicca.com/celtic/celtic/sactrees.htm): "Use apple cider in any old spells calling for blood or wine." [Italics mine.]

I can't find any other reference to apples and blood. I see that some of the old grimoires or parts of them still survive (http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/) and I remember reading one of them (under the desk in the Seminary :) ) when I was in high school. Are there "old spells" calling for blood and what is the connection to apples?

I don't think it ported over to our "Old Forum" but I remember when the old Board was challenged by someone claiming to be a powerful (tho not very bright :) ) Black Magician.

BB

Jim
Skywalker (Deceased)

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:48 pm

Jim, there are lots of "old spells" that call for blood, hair and even nail clippings although, unlike as portrayed by Hollywood, it is usually your own to help put your "essence" into the spell. What the connection is between apples and blood, I'm not sure.

As for that black magician ... No, he didn't get ported over!
May your summers and winters be short, springs be mild and autumn reaping plentiful.

)O(
Tylluan

PostAuthor: Skywalker (Deceased) » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:19 am

Thank you, Tylluan. The reference just caught my eye and peaked my curiosity.

"....to help put your essence into a spell...."

In a parallel thread with a friend who is also interested in meditation, we have been trying to understand what it means to totally yield oneself to a situation or to a thought or feeling in meditation. That came up after our conversation here about facing the negatives in ourselves. It has been a very useful and fruitful discussion.

Your phrase caught some of our thoughts exactly.

Brightest Blessings,

Jim
Skywalker (Deceased)

PostAuthor: Tylluan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 am

Glad I could help :)

)O(
Tylluan

Return to January